FVIR Water Heater Pilot wont stay lit after cleaning filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it's not.

After having replaced everything the stupid POS started leaking from who knows where anytime there was a significant weather change (seasons). Had two plumbers out, both said it seemed to be leaking from inside somewhere. I ended up having it warrantied for a newer model, hopefully with less problems. If not, I will just deal with the Home Depot/Lowes crap so I am not bound to having to pay a plumber too. Even with the warranty it cost me $350

I will say that other than leaking, it did work fine up until I finally got sick of it leaking, it would leak for about 2-3 weeks when the seasons changed, or if there was a dramatic temp fluctuation. I had it replaced just a couple months ago, so the mechanical repairs did seem to have held.

No, it's not.

... I ended up having it warrantied for a newer model, hopefully with less problems. If not, I will just deal with the Home Depot/Lowes crap so I am not bound to having to pay a plumber too. Even with the warranty it cost me $350

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I ended up having it warrantied for a newer model" -- does that mean you bought another AO Smith (State) heater? If so, why? Are they built better these days?

Did you install it yourself instead of hiring a plumber? How hard was that to do? I've seen it done on YouTube, but those guys make it look easy (especially when they don't show them wrestling a 100-pound boiler out of the garage). :D

I'm trying to weigh all my options. Money is tight.

RH in CA.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I ended up having it warrantied for a newer model" -- does that mean you bought another AO Smith (State) heater? If so, why? Are they built better these days?

Did you install it yourself instead of hiring a plumber? How hard was that to do? I've seen it done on YouTube, but those guys make it look easy (especially when they don't show them wrestling a 100-pound boiler out of the garage). :D

I'm trying to weigh all my options. Money is tight.

RH in CA.

Mine was still under warranty, check your serial on the websites tool. I did not purchase a new water heater, it was replaced under warranty because it was leaking from a non serviceable part. I had to pay a plumber to do it, because State requires a licensed plumber to do the swap at the parts warehouse. My quotes to replace an in warranty water heater were in the recockulous range of $600-1000. Seriously, the water heater was free, that was just to install it and remove the old one.

I ended up posting an ad on Craigslist JUST to swap it out for me and still got screwed for $300 due to "it being a newer regulation water heater". I was stuck, the guy had already pulled the sticker off my old one and brought me the new one with the "bill". May have been legit, but I doubt it. Our agreement going into it was $150 and I do all the work. $300 later and I was the one who had to install it.

I do not know if the new one is built any better, one can only hope, the last one was a POS.

They are very easy to install if you are mechanically inclined. Plumbers putty, make sure your up to code, and a little bit of brazing and your fine. If you do not already own most of the tools for the job, it is probably more than you want to get involved with. I take for granted how much I will do to my house because I do everything, mostly because I dont trust people.

Good luck, let us know how it goes and if you have any more questions.

Good luck, let us know how it goes and if you have any more questions.

Hi, thanks.

I'll let you know what happens after I do a few more tests.

I read somewhere that to test if the combustion chamber is getting enough air (assuming the flame is blue, not yellow and it's not "wandering" -- which it's not, so it's "OK enough"), you can unscrew the CC door and pull it away from the boiler enough to let a lot of air in; essentially bypassing the round FVIR device in the bottom which might be VERY clogged.

I will make sure that there are no flammables (paint, chlorine, fots) around and I will sit there with a fire extinguisher and a beer for 30 minutes to see if it stays lit and does not overheat.

Well, maybe two beers. :D

RH in CA

I did that too, but ultimately it was replacing the entire pilot assembly that did the trick until the thing started leaking.

You could also bypass the factory thermocouple with a generic from Home Depot, but again, your also bypassing some security features.

I tested mine probably 50x, even with State on the phone and the thermocouple always tested fine. Somehow the replacement pilot assembly fixed the issue.

arcsum68 said:
They are very easy to install if you are mechanically inclined. Plumbers putty, make sure your up to code, and a little bit of brazing and your fine. QUOTE]

If you are using plumbers putty, you should be installing the water heater yourself. This tells me and all the plumbers here that you actually don't know what your doing.

arcsum68 said:
They are very easy to install if you are mechanically inclined. Plumbers putty, make sure your up to code, and a little bit of brazing and your fine. QUOTE]

If you are using plumbers putty, you should be installing the water heater yourself. This tells me and all the plumbers here that you actually don't know what your doing.

Is there really a reason for you to be a troll on this forum? Did you come here just to insult me and call me out without providing any valuable input? The answer to both of those questions is "yes", just go back under your bridge if you do not have anything useful to say.

Personally I used tape, but was told by my plumber buddy that pipe dope was better. The two seem to be something plumbers do not agree on. Forgive the eff out of me for accidentally saying plumbers putty. Unlike you, I was trying to help this guy out and was responding quickly before I left the house and made the apparently unforgivable mistake saying putty instead of dope.

Thanks for the help dude!

Listen dude. As a a.o. Smith factory rep. I could have said it's the Burner assembly or the control valve needed to be replaced. Before I could he was already talking about replacing it. My professional opinion is to hire someone through a.o smith to come and look at it. But if homeowners want to do it themselves... By all means.

And if all you have to do all day is to set on fourms and think your helping people by giving them misguided solutions, don't quit your day job. I'm all for helping someone out but what if that guy did put "plumber putty " on his threads, turned the water on and flooded his house because of your misguided suggestion. Every professional really needs to think and READ what they write before they post.

I commend you for trying to help. That's what we are all here for. Just don't give bad information when doing so. And if you do, don't expect me or any other plumber here to correct you when something happens.

If I misconstrued your helping this guy , I'm sorry. But I find this so many times when I get a " plumber" that's been doing it for 45 years more than I have and do stupid things like this and wonder why I get bent outta shape.
Therefore, I apologize if I hurt your feelings. Just don't say stupid crap and then I won't have to do it again.

Signed, "the troll"

Dude, the forum topic is "Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum" Nobody wants to come to a DIY forum to be told to go hire a professional. If your going to interject with your professional opinion, then do so, instead of posting a comment that provides no value. I can go find people who don't want to help all day long, fortunately someone created this forum so I would not have to.

I am not a plumber FYI, I am in IT and sit at a desk and solve problems for a corporation for a living. Again, remember this is a DIY forum. I do my own projects because it provides value and I am very capable. Also I quite honestly could not afford to do all the things I am able to by doing them myself. I did not start this thread to help someone, I started it to get help with my own equipment and was asked how I was doing.

I made a mistake calling it plumbers putty, my point in calling you a troll, was that rather than correcting me you just said I didn't know what I was talking about (technically this is true) By doing so you also left the guy out to dry. I certainly hope he knew that plumbers putty was not the right thing to use, but what if he did not? Your comment did not suggest the correct way and therefore added no value.

I think we all realize that there was a misunderstanding and maybe it could have been avoided by a thorough reading of the text from the beginning, but never the less, harsh words were said and there was an apology offered so I hope we can all move beyond this so that this forum doesn't take on the appearance of the others that are well known for aggression and retaliation between the members.
When I'm in a foul mood I go to those forums to pick a good fight, but I like this forum for its camaraderie and thoughtful insight from the members, as well as your occasional goofing-off.:D

Hi,

I appreciate all opinions and recommendations, both from professionals and DIYers like me. "arcsum68" had the same model boiler and the same problem, so I asked for advice.

If I could afford to hire a professional, I would, but this recession has broken me financially. And if I could afford one, I hope I could trust them.

But when I first moved into this house rental, I had 3 "professional" plumbers look at my boiler: all three had different opinions, but ALL THREE said "I can replace it for $1,000".

If they all said it was the SAME issue causing the problem, I'd have found the $1,000. But they didn't, so I went looking for information to educate myself. All you guys have been helpful enough to educate me about boilers, even more than the "techs" at AO Smith, who can't even give me the right SKU-part numbers, nor consistent information.

Again, you professionals know WAY more than me and "arcsum68", so I'm hoping this discussion will continue in a civil manner.

...at least until my burner stays lit. ;)

Thanks,

RH in CA

installed a whirlpool yesterday, only for it to not fire up, great had to remove and go get another one, this WH BS is getting old fast

Another-Plumber said:
installed a whirlpool yesterday, only for it to not fire up, great had to remove and go get another one, this WH BS is getting old fast

This and this alone is why I do not buy from Home Depot or lowes. Because you must pull the water heater and take it back. With ao smith, rheem, Bradford white & state , there reps come out to the house and fix it... If they cannot , they will replace the heater. I will pay the 20 or 30 bucks for for this every time...!

Back