what is a transition fitting?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Another-Plumber

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
gas company came out and tagged a water heater for a customer of mine, the note says needs transition fitting, wtf is that? i called the gas company and they dont know, they will need to send the tech back out in a few days and for me to hang out during the 4 hour window... anyone know what that can be...

I believe they are referring to a union, which will allow the W/H to be removed and replaced.

cant be, the water heater is in a garage, copper water flexs, gas flex, t&p piped outside, yet, yet they tag it, i have called every plumber i know, googled it, and no one knows shait...

maybe he/she is talking about a transistion fitting for your gas line, An transition fittings for hard pipe to flex line

wouldnt it be ok going from black steel pipe to a brass shutoff then flex?

You need a union between the shutoff and the flex (just after the shutoff).If no union , that should be the problem - If you have a union there,codes has changed.

Are you talking about the gas line? If so how would you connect the heater without one?

John

We are talking about the gas line. How would I connect water heater without one of what ? (Gas line)

The flare end of a gas flex line serves as a union. I have never been required to use a union, per se, when hooking up a fixture with a gas flex.

A transition fitting is a double fitting that allows u to connect to something else. For instance a mission coupling, copper to plastic.

Have you looked at the venting ? I am thinking this is where your problem is, its on the tip of my mind right now but im currentlly pretty ill. could be a vent connector, or if the vent is run single wall and becomes common ( maybe with a furnace connection or to a double wall vent )

1st of all putting a UNION after the shut off is plain stupid, show me a picture of a "flared gas shut off-union-gas flex".... CANT BE DONE, unless your some kind of hack

liq, i understand it may be the vent, however it goes for 3 inch single wall to double wall... so what gives

wh1.jpg

Latest posts

Back