leaking pipe under the wash basin.........

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy

Reaction score
Okay, my plumbing princes, I have another small project and more questions.

I hope I can describe this well. I don't know the terminology.

I have a double sided washbasin next to my washing machine. There has been a time or two that my washing machine is unbalanced and 'takes a walk'. During one of these events, my washer 'walked' into the wash basin and pushed it a little. The wash basin is very old, two sided. It appears to be a cement filled metal basin on a heavy duty metal stand. (Does that make any sense?) Each side of the wash basin has a drain that meet directly under the tubs and goes down one drain pipe. Well, because the basin has been pushed, there is now leaking in that drain pipe under the basin. It is PVC pipes under there. I'm not sure if the leaking is coming from the connection where the drain pipe actually connect to the tub or if it's further down. I am going to attempt to repair this myself. Am I going to need any special tools to work with the PVC pipe?

In a little bit, I'll go downstairs and try to take some pictures because I'm sure you all might have trouble understanding the situation by my description. Fortunately this whole set up is directly over the floor drain and I'm still using my washing machine. As the water leaks out of the basin it just goes right down the floor drain with very little mess. But I'd like to get this running correctly soon.

Okay. I'll see what I can do. I'm old and it'll take me 15 minutes to get down on the floor to take the pictures, probably 30 minutes to get back up off the floor and a good 12 hours or so to prepare to get on the floor to take pictures. :eek:

I'm old and it'll take me 15 minutes to get down on the floor to take the pictures, probably 30 minutes to get back up off the floor and a good 12 hours or so to prepare to get on the floor to take pictures. :eek:

My problem is once I get down, I feel the need for a quick nap... :(

Hopefully you can just tighten a jamb nut on the pvc and not have to get into a leaky strainer. They can be a pain for a non pro, especially on an old cement tub.

Windy,

I feel your pain, believe me! I bet your utility sink looks like this beauty:
plumbing1.jpg

This is the only picture I have that shows any of the plumbing under the tub:
plumbing3.jpg

Now, almost all of the PVC plumbing in this photo is wrong, and has been replaced, so try to ignore all of the white pipes. My old tub had signs of leaking where the tail pipe connected to the bottom of the wash tub. that piece was brass (or copper) and had 2 bolts that connected it to the bottom, and I believe a gasket. I would check that spot, and the trap connections. I ended up replacing the entire thing, because one of the tubs was cracked, and I had to fix all of that plumbing anyway. This is what it looks like now:

finished.jpg

Post some pictures as soon as you can - the members of this forum are incredible, and will get you fixed up in no time!

Do not mean to
sign0101.gif
this thread, but there are a few questions-

1) What type of trap is that and where is it recommended to be used?

2) Neither the washer discharge or the sump pump discharge were trapped?

3) That is a double bowl sink. Why is there only one drain outlet?

A Continuing Learning Curve In W (BY GOD V)... :D

Shhh. Windy is still napping.

I haven't worked up the nerve to get on the floor in my basement and take pictures. :(

Windy,

I feel your pain, believe me! I bet your utility sink looks like this beauty:
plumbing1.jpg

Well, the tub itself looks almost exactly like this one. As for the plumbing part of it, I don't really know. I never bothered to look under it until now when I have to because it's leaking.

Do not mean to
sign0101.gif
this thread, but there are a few questions-

3) That is a double bowl sink. Why is there only one drain outlet?

Hijack away. If you can learn something here, I'm happy to share my thread with you.

As for the double bowl sink and one drain outlet, maybe even I can answer. The drains for these sinks are right next to each other and I believe they are plumbed to drain into one pipe. But an expert will be along here soon. :eek:

Both strainers tie together into one tail piece, into one trap.

...hmmpf...

THANX for the explanation.

Now the trap?

I have no idea why someone would use the trap in that photo (I assume that's what you're talking about), but like I said, I replaced all if it because most of it was wrong.

It looks like everything is right, as it should be. Washing machine discharges into tub basin, drum trap removed (though still legal in most areas), but I don't see where the sump discharge is going to. It looks like a really nice job, so I can only assume that the sump was also done correctly.
The PVC drum-trap from the previous photos is typically allowable in sizes 3" and above, where a drum trap has already existed or where earlier design warrants its use, but is not recommended.
As stated before, the other drains were not trapped. Now it looks as if the job was done well and the concrete patch is smooth, too.
With no issues in the future I would say "Job well done."

Okay, guys. I'm in the process of buying a decent point and shoot camera. Then I will post pictures. I don't have any good means of posting a decent picture right now. Just crappy cell phone photos.

Cell phone images work just fine. As a matter of fact, you don't even have to get down on the ground, just stick the phone under the sink and snap a couple pictures. I'm sure this crew can figure it out.

Okay, I finally took pictures of my newest plumbing dilemma. Do you all think this is something the total and complete novice can fix or should I find someone who can do this for me? What tools would I need?

It looks to my untrained eye that the breakdown and the leak is coming from where the pipe comes right out of the bottom of the basin.

004.jpg

Hmm...I see my granddaughter's pink sock that I thought I lost. LOL

001.jpg

My kitten liked the idea I was laying on the basement floor. He took this opportunity to attack me. :)

005.jpg

006.jpg

Hahaha......I see the kitten got in this photo, too. LOL

007.jpg

Latest posts

Back