What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a round about way, I guess the hip procedure was a bit of a blessing to happen when it did. If I was still working, I wouldn't of known about the house, and it freed me up to do most of the paperwork while my fiancé works. The closing date is the end of July, and our wedding is the end of August! Life is busy busy busy!

It looks like I'm gonna get to do some plumbing this week, gonna get around to doing a sump pump for my mom and hopefully soon a submersible well pump for my uncle. I miss it!

More like what I did yesterday. Guy bought a Char Broil BBQ from The big "L" store along with a conversion kit for natural gas. "L" was supposed to put it together and convert it for him prior to delivery. They didn't. It's a 6 burner community BBQ for several condo's. So the board Pres hired us to assemble it and hook it up. I put it all together. Conversion kit said just remove the LP orfices on each burner tube. Turns out that only works on BBQ's that are DUAL FUEL. They sold him a LP only BBQ. BBQ cost him like $300 + $400 for me to put it together. Yellow 9" flames. :eek:
Had another call to get to so I left it disconnected.
Discovered the problem when I looked his Model up on line. :eek:

Yes, first house for us, thanks! I viewed the well report yesterday, we won't have any water issues with the well making 8 imp/gpm :)

I've never saw a "community bbq" before. They common?

Mr_David, sounds like the person needs to go back to the big L store and tell them what losers they are and that he wants some $ back.

pulled a toilet that was rocking like mick jagger,
the bowl bolts were tight but the collar was loose, floor rotted out
the closet collar was 3'' pvc..shoved into 4'' cast pipe.
further looky see,,the cast was not connected to the tee..was just sitting in it

gasket in hub installed, 4'' pvc stubbed up,,new collar installed..

rebuilt flooring,,raised the toilet on a wood pedestal for the older gentlemen..

Yesterday, we had 6 painters doing the house from 8 Am until 7 PM. We also had the electrician, the drywaller, two gardeners who were chopping down two huge trees, a friend who just wanted to sit and watch the work being done, Home Depot delivered the new dishwasher, only to find out 10 minutes after they left that the back of the unit was crushed in from them dropping it, had the city water guys charge me $30 to "EXERCISE" the main water valve (only to tell me that he agreed with me that the valve needs replacing), and at 5 PM sharp, we had two burglar alarm installers ready to set up my new alarm. The G/F blew a fuse and told the alarm guys to get the hell out of here because there was too much commotion presently, so we rescheduled until Tuesday.

Because the painters like to unplug anything they can, I will be off-line for the next two days.

I'm flying to Seattle next week to start my Alaskan cruise. Boy do I need the rest!

Frodo, love the Mick Jagger analogy. I bet the older gentleman appreciates the raised toilet.

Havasu, sounds really hectic. I hope you called HD back about that broken dishwasher. I'd be rather displeased with them. I hope the rest of the work goes smoothly and that things get done quickly.

A buddy of mine, who is a journeyman plumber, landed a job where he just exercises valves at one of the universities here....like...really? I couldn't see someone down that for 30 years and not hanging themselves

Yesterday, a contractor hit an 8" water main while trenching that was not marked on our current "up to date" maps. Luckily we hold onto old maps... It turned out the main didn't end at a hydrant like it showed, but kept going quite aways until being capped. Luckily it was about 4' deep. Cut out the broken section and slapped in about 80" of C900 pipe and a couple of Hymax couplings. Quick and easy.

Does "exercising valves" mean he just turns them on and off to make sure they work?

Speaking of work, my brother is getting seriously annoyed with his store manager. Yesterday he had trouble breathing and had to use his inhaler. The manager gave him attitude about it, but he was able to stay at work (twice he's had to be sent home because he was too dizzy to continue working). Later she pulled him aside and basically threatened to fire him because of his health issues. He has COPD and he told the place that before they hired him. He was hired to do the shelf-stocking and work in the back but she has him running around the store acting as a cashier because the store only has 6 employees total and they are almost never all there at the same time. He's done double shifts and come in to fill in for cashiers and other employees that didn't show up multiple times. Last week the manager said he was her best employee and now she's being nasty to him about something over which he has no control. Meanwhile, yesterday one of the supervisors walked out into the parking lot and chatted with a friend for an hour when she was still on the clock and she does things like that frequently enough for customers to complain about it-- but the manager isn't threatening to fire her. Oh yeah, my brother is the ONLY person who is officially a stockroom employee. Three employees are managers/supervisors and the other two are cashiers. The manager sometimes gives him crap about not getting the stocking done when he is literally the only employee in the store and has to run the cash register too. They had 7 employees but one quit because the manager kept giving her grief about things.

I told my brother to document things and to call corporate to file a complaint. The manager is only temporary, but she doesn't need to be threatening someone with a protected disability. She also tried to violate OSHA by trying to cut employee breaks in half. Stuff like that really ticks me off.

Meanwhile, I got a wider shower seat assembled and put in place for my mother. I just need to have her sit on it so I can figure out the best place to mount the handheld showerhead so she can reach it easily.

Yep...exercising a valve just means opening and closing the valve, which gets stuck after years of not being used.

I sure wish someone would have reminded me not to cut the unused phone lines throughout the house, since it is still needed for DSL!

Uhoh.. I wonder if the very old style phonelines can be used for DSL. My house still has some of the older lines, but I helped my father run newer lines years ago. We ran them under the house-- well, I was the one who ran them under the house and he hooked them up. That was when I got stuck under a pipe and he laughed at me. LOL.

Speaking of running lines under a house... since I installed satellite TV at this new house, I bought another dish and a receiver for my lake house. My son was given the task of installing the new dish at the lake and running the new cable under the house. He brought his radio controlled car with him and used it instead of crawling under the house on his knees. He said it worked slick!

Mr_David, sounds like the person needs to go back to the big L store and tell them what losers they are and that he wants some $ back.

He went back and talked to the right guy. They are going to deliver a commercial BBQ with the DUAL FUEL preassembled and converted to natural gas at no extra charge. Unfortunately It won't be hooked up for Memorial Day until I go back on Tuesday.

I've never saw a "community bbq" before. They common?

often found in multi unit communities that have some open space areas, but don't have a place to set up a grill of their own. That way those who like to grill a steak or burger now and then can .

Last edited:
often found in multi unit communities that have some open space areas, but don't have a place to set up a grill of their own. That way those how like to grill a steak or burger now and then can .

when i went to florida, I had a RV..and i stayed at a RV park in Christmas fla

we had a community fire pit in the camp area. we would meet there on a friday or saturday night,,build a fire,,roast marshmallows, drink beer and tell lies

it was fun,,

Latest posts

Back