Gas line issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a house on propane. We moved his gas line going to his bbq because he was building an enclosure and code did not allow where the line was. We stubbed up under the bbq as it was about ten feet away before and coming up under the sink then through the block to the bbq. We hooked up the BBQ and forgot about it.

He went to use it a month or two later and the flame was so high it burned all the hair off his arms but the two burner stove next to it works fine.

It's a Lynx bbq so he had them out and they brought a new regulator but as soon as they put it on it tripped and wouldn't let gas through. It seems there is far too much gas coming through the line.

There is a regulator at the propane tank, there is a secondary regulator at the house and one at the pool equipment. I am assuming there must have been one buried in the block wall somewhere that we missed when relocating the line? Am I correct in thinking this? I am going to bring a gauge over and see what pressure is but I don't know what it should be? My house is on propane as well but I only have a regulator at my tank.

I'm trying to get this figured out and fixed on Monday for him as he is having a party the next weekend.

I think I answered my own question. I need 11 inches water column or .40 PSI so without the secondary regulator I am getting about 10 PSI. Nothing like a ticking time bomb. I believe I just need a couple secondary regulators and i'll be fine.

There are two different types of systems. One has a primary regulator, and then at second regulator at the building or at each fixture. It sounds like his system is like this. Smaller setups are set up like a BBQ grill, with a single regulator at the tank that drops the pressure all the way down to the fixture pressure. A manometer is a necessary piece of equipment when working on gas piping, to make sure that you have the proper pressure and volume at the fixture.

I plan on grabbing one in the morning and then off to learn a thing or two.

I also have a Lynx BBQ at Havasu. The company that builds them is in Gardena (or close by) and all parts needed are free, since those BBQ's have a lifetime warranty. They should because solid gold is cheaper than those BBQ's.

They are nice but I don't know if they are new car value nice.

I put on a couple secondary regulators and everything worked perfect.

Back