New water heater install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
OK friends, it's my turn to be the one in need. I just purchased a house that is going to need some work done. The first thing on my list is to eliminate the tankless water heater that the previous owners (complete idiots!) thought would look good by mounting next to the front door. The unit is mounted on wood, between studs. It has a 12" wood clearance perimeter warning, and no TPR installed on it.

I'm going to hire a plumber to either:

1) Reroute the copper lines to the back side of the garage, purchase a newer, safer tankless, and install it on stucco in the appropriate fashion.

2) Since I'm also ripping my A/C unit and installing a better, energy efficient unit, I will be removing the blower/heater unit from a closet and installing a horizontal position unit up in the attic. This will leave a big space to install a new tank water heater inside of this closet. I was told by a friend that the new code prohibits water heater installation in any inside portion of the house. I've seen hundreds of water heater closets, but mostly in condos and apartments.

Does anyone know if California plumbing codes prohibit water heaters to be installed inside of closets? And yes, if allowed, it will be vented properly.

Thanks!

I'll take your old unit for my mountain house if you replace it.

I asked my plumber here about the closet code.

You're welcome to it Chris, but trust me, that thing is a POS and being a first generation TWH, I assume it is not very efficient. It also works on NG...aren't you propane? If so, you would need to change out the orifices.

Plumber says it is still acceptable but check with your city.

First gen is fine for my use. We use the place a handful of times a year. I converted to NG last year. My heater now is electric and I can't keep it from blowing breakers after it heats.

Let me know if you need any help with anything? I have a few connections around here.

We want to rip off the T-111 on the front of the house, add a chair rail height stack stone all around the front, which included two huge pillars, and lots of stucco. Then paint, demo out the front walk way, re-design the hardscape to include 6' wide steps to the front door, exterior paint, new A/C, new water heater, a drywall and texture for many interior walls, and lots of electrical work. It's gunna be pricey but they will be carrying me out of this house when I kick the bucket.

Sounds like fun. You still have the guy that did work on your last house?

I am having plans drawn now for my house. I'm adding on 1200 SF another two car garage a pool, outdoor kitchen, pool house and guest house. Along with a shop on the property for my company. Gonna do most of it myself but it will still be pricey but like you it will be well worth it.

The G/f doesn't want to use my guy because his time management sucks. We're searching for someone who speaks our language.

Back