obstructed...rim passage?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
A plastic sandwich baggie accidentally got sucked down the flush valve
of my toilet.
It does not flush now.
If I pour a bucket of water into the bowl it empties perfectly.
The bowl also fills through the rim hole:confused:s although I am not sure
if it is the same as before.
Where could this plastic bag be? In the flush passage inside the rim?
Somewhere else?
Can I get it out?
Help! Anyone?

Chances are the baggie is now lodged in the rim of the bowl, adjacent to the small holes under the rim. The only way to remove it is by separating the toilet bowl from the tank, and hopefully you will be able to grab it with either wire or small hands. The porcelain is as sharp as glass when broken, and the bolts holding the tank to the bowl become corroded quickly making them a bugger to remove often.

If this is something you have never worked with, I would recommend that you contact a plumber.

And stop hiding your drugs in the toilet tank....

The cops know to look there now.

I actually put a plastic baggie in my toilet tank to cover a leak that was squirting
up and over the side of the toilet and onto the floor.
It must have come off and then ....giant slurping sounds.
And:confused::cool: havasu it is a once piece toilet.
Also I wonder if I could possibly dissolve the bag without using something too nasty.
Any ideas? Anyone?

Last edited:
I would avoid using caustic fluids because they may damage the toilet itself. You might have success if you remove the toilet and flushing the plastic from the rim with a high pressure hose or with the assistance of long mechanical pincher fingers. This might get messy, so place it on your grass where you will have lots of elbow room.

Ahhhhh, the old plastic baggie over the pipe.

Everybody knows duct tape is the proper stop gap in this situation.:D

Back