Help needed - identify this bathtub valve stem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas440

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here, and I wanted to replace a washer in my bathtub fixture as it was dripping slowly for some time now. I removed the knob and trim bezel, it was very hard to get the knob off because I believe it's been on for about 30 years or more. The house was built I think in 1952 , and when I took off the knob and trim, I knew I had a problem because I've never seen a faucet like this one. In the past I have changed a washer in a bathtub fixture, and I have a set of those deep socket tools to unscrew the stem, however this one is different.

This valve appears to be a cast brass large round piece that protrudes out of the wall slightly, and has a brass nut on the end that unscrews . I took the brass nut off and I was going to insert one of the sockets and unscrew the stem, but the hole that is around the stem is only about a 5/8 diameter hole and if I look in there with a flashlight, the stem is very long, I'd say aout 4 inches, and there is no nut down inside there to unscrew, so I'm at a loss on how to change this washer. I tried to count the splines on the end of the stem, and I think I count 16 spines not positive as it's hard counting them when you need new glasses. :mad:

Can anyone tell me what brand this might be? There is no name on the fixture all it says on the shower pull up knob is Made in USA, pull up for shower. The handles look like American Standard, I enclosed a few pictures to help identify this fixture. Also if you know what it is, can you tell me how I get the stem and washer out? It would not surprise me if it takes a special washer, I have a few packs of assorted standard faucet washers, hopefully it uses a common flat washer like the one I did about a year ago for my brother.

Thanks in advance for any help and info on this fixture.

Nick,

bathtub stem.jpg

Pic B of stem on bathtub.jpg

Pic C of bathtub knobs.jpg

Pic A of bathtub stem.jpg

Thank you.. I tried to remove the larger nut but it's part of the large brass casting. I believe the larger hex nut is there just to hold the whole thing still while you unscrew the packing nut otherwise the entire brass unit in the wall could turn and break.. but thank you for your reply...

The handle looks like the old American Standard Heratage line but the stem isn't. But like stated above the large nut must be removed to remove the stem. The reason you may be having a problem removing it is because you have stem is in the off position. Try turning the stem on.

You have to turn the stem as if you have the water on or it will not unscrew.

Thank you for all your replies. I turned the valve stem clockwise, inward, and then I put a wrench on that large hex and gave it a turn, and it came loose, so actually the large hex does come off, and the stem comes out when I turn it clockwise, so I was able to get it out.

My only concern is that the entire end piece that holds the washer on swivels around and its' loose , it appears as if it's made to rotate. The washer screw was on nice and tight, and of course the washer is shot it's hard as a rock and has a good round groove in it from the valve seat over time.

Im just wondering is this end piece on the stem supposed to rotate? Does anyone know if it's normal? Tomorrow I have to take the stem to the hardware and match up a washer for because the washer is about 7/8 diameter flat rubber and about 1/8 inch thick. All the standard faucet washers I have in my tool box are much smaller, for normal sink faucets.

Here is a photo of the stem I took out. Maybe it's an American Standard or American Heritage? Either way it's probably about 60 years old.

stem A.jpg

Good job. Some stems have washer retainers that rotate looks like you have one. Be careful removing the old bibb screws. If it doesn't come out easily cut as much of the washer out as possible. That will help to free the bibb screw up. Be sure to replace the bibb screw as well as the washer.

if you still need help on this, ill identify it for you in the morning... would be nice to see the stem closed if you can

Back