Please help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walz

Reaction score
Hi, I walked in the mbr last night to the loud noise of water running in the wall between the shower and the bedroom (shower pipe is in this wall. I am not a plumber. Before I turned the water off at the meter, I went under the house, and water was pouring out from the wall. We're enjoying warm weather at the moment. 1) What are the possible problems? 2) How do I figure out which problem it is? 3) What are their fixes (just in general; once I figure out what it is, I'll ask more questions if necessary)?

Also, it even took a great deal of effort from a big, strong contractor to turn the water off at the street, and the water company is no help. I work out, but I can't budge it. Is there a way to loosen this valve a little, so I can turn water on and off in meantime?

There should be a shut-off valve at the water meter. The street shut-off belongs to the Water Department, and if you break it, you will get a large bill for repairs. You need to tear out the wall material where the leak is. For whatever reason, it sounds like a pipe burst. could also be that a fitting let go. You won't know until you open up the wall. If you can, I would open the wall on the opposite side of the bathroom (maybe a hall or closet wall) and install an access panel while the wall is open, with shut-off valves for future use.

Firstly contact your insurance company/ broker they normally have a panel of plumbers who do their work for them before you attempt anything.

Next I would say get your own isolating valve installed where it is convenient for you.

Next step would be to expose the section of pipe in the wall where the leak seems to be emanating from and take further steps on exposure.

Most people come in here for help on specific problems. Posting "Let businesses do your bidding | Service Bids" provides no help other that redirect people to another site.

I agree with havasu. This is a DIY site and not meant to offer websites to have the work done. I am noticing (and reporting) more and more posts that are advertisments and not answers to members questions. If advertising is why you joined the site, I am sure Management will accept your payment for such.

Majakdragon,
I'm glad you picked on this nonsense. I didn't know if this was something that Plumbing Forum would appreciate, but on other similar :)D) forums, we refer to it as "SPAM." And it appears JGP (Houston) and Keith also agree, because their postings are "out of here."

From what I understand your first post can be kinda an advertisement for your business but after that it needs to be kept in yor signature line. I would just reccomend only puting it in your sig and then you can refer to it when necessary.

Last edited:
I belong to other Forum sites and most do not allow advertising or even "chat". I love helping members with their problems, if I can, and that is why I joined. When sites get too far off the idea they were formed for (or what I thought was the idea) , I leave.

Latest posts

Back