Brass Fitting Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mred

Reaction score
I have a brass fitting that I am trying to clean to accept a female screw on fitting. I have heating the brass fitting and wiped off all the solder I could, but there is still a lot there which prevents me from threading on the female fitting.

Any suggestions? I have tried steel wool, emory cloth, and a brass brush....sheez.

thanks

Solder on the threads??? This could be a real problem if the solder was put on in the proper manor. It won't want to all come off which is going to make that threaded fitting just a bit larger than it's supposed to be or smaller depending on what gender it is.

You do know that threaded fittings aren't soldered. Right?

I think your answer is heat and patience. Also you may need a way to hold the fitting/nipple very steady while you hold the torch with one hand and wipe with a Jersey(100% cotton) glove. Turn 180* and repeat until you can get it to fit. You will not be able to sand away very much without screwing up the threads.

Good Luck!

In this case, a picture would be worth its weight in gold. I would not spend any time trying to clean this fitting and would just cut it off and replace the entire union (if possible).

I would try heating it up and then using the brass brush on it. That is the most likely to reach down into the threads and pull the molten solder out. Compressed air also does a good job of this. The need for safety glasses is self explanatory.

You can try using a disposable flux brush. heat the fitting and then use the brush, with flux on it, to wipe off the solder. not sure why you have a threaded fitting with solder on it.

Back