Running a Waste Pipe along Stairs?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal

Reaction score
I have a closet at the top of my stairwell that I don't use. I would like to put a 1/4 bath in there (just a toilet and small sink).
I was wondering if I could run the waste pipe out of the closet, under the stairwell landing, and then run the waste pipe down the stair stringer into the basement then across to the outlet?

From the toilet through the landing would be the 1/4" / ft drop then the drop would be around a 45 degree angle slope attacheted to the stair stringer under the treads/risers till I got into the basement where I would run it again at a 1/4" / ft slope to the outlet.

If not then I have to put in a soffet through a common room with a vertical pipe that leads to the 1/4" / ft slope in the basement... I would rather not hear the kids flush while watching tv or internet!!!

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are concerned about the slope of the pipe running under the stairs. That should not be a problem. The only thing that you need to worry about is providing a vent for the bathroom before the piping turns down and runs under the stairs. Another thing to watch is to not tie it into the basement piping in an improper spot, such as in a bathroom group.

Latest posts

Back