BEER!! The official thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished a commercial porter, which is a type I am just learning to enjoy. Earlier today, I bottled an experimental recipe Bitter, that will probably be a little on the heavy side for that style, but oh well. I am saving the last 16 of a light Red that I brewed for when my niece visits next month. And as soon as I can find the time, I want to try my hand at brewing a porter.

Who else loves beer?

Im a homebrewer too!

Today I had a huge brew day. I brewed a hoppy American amber. Bottled my Hoppy New Year (brewed it on New Years Day) Double IPA, and put my Ugly Fish (tastes like Bells Two Hearted Ale) into secondary with a dry hop.

My wifes favorite Porter. I have a batch of Porter that should be ready to bottle in a week or so. If your interested I can email you a real easy and real good simple Porter recipe. Just PM and tell me what you brew with (kettle size and typical amount of grains you use) and I'll customize the recipe for you.

I'm kind of a microbrew/homebrew fanatic.

Last edited:
Like, Doooooode man!!

I managed to skip out of work 15 minutes early, and what I thought I had to do tonight didn't pan out, so I am in the middle of a half batch ( 2 1/2 gals) all grain porter. It is my first venture into all grain brewing, and I don't really have all of the right equipment, so I am trying a brew in a bag method and dividing a recipe in half. Gotta go check the temp of the sparge water now.

The porter is merrily fermenting away, probably 1/2" of krausen and getting thicker. It is amazing that such a small amount of black grain mixed in with all of the pale 2 row can produce a beer that black.

I like good beer.
I don't like Coors or Bud or any of the watered down beers.
I tried to brew some once. Turned out okay but to much work when there are so many flavors and types already bottled up for you.
My Favorite is Karl Strauss Amber

I've got some Shiner Bock and Woodchuck Amber in the fridge right now... Shiner for me, 'chuck for my wife... And I'd love to start brewing myself, but I agree that it is a lot of work around all my other 'projects' and I can already buy what I like anyways...

Yes, it does take some time. How much is dependant upon how involved you want to get. All extract without steeping grains, you can probably have it in the fermenter in 1 1/2-2 hours, and another hour or so for bottling. The fermenting process itself doesn't require much attention at all. However, some people doing all grain brewing can easily spend the better part of a day brewing a batch.

Kilroy, I have never heard of or tried Karl Strauss. Is that a local microbrew in your area, or is it an import?

A few weeks ago, we had some really cold weather come through, and so we picked most of the oranges off of our tree before they froze. We haven't been able to drink enough juice or eat enough oranges, so we were starting to get some that were rotting.

This last Sunday, I juiced enough to make a full five gallons of orange juice, and put it into a plastic bucket fermentor. I kept it covered and on ice, and today I got a recipe and some ingredients from a froo-froo wine store in town. So tonight I added some of the stuff from the wine store and some sugar, and pitched the champagne yeast starter that I had going. 5 hours later, and the airlock is going gangbusters. Maybe in midsummer I will have some nice orange wine to sample.

A few weeks ago, we had some really cold weather come through, and so we picked most of the oranges off of our tree before they froze. We haven't been able to drink enough juice or eat enough oranges, so we were starting to get some that were rotting.

This last Sunday, I juiced enough to make a full five gallons of orange juice, and put it into a plastic bucket fermentor. I kept it covered and on ice, and today I got a recipe and some ingredients from a froo-froo wine store in town. So tonight I added some of the stuff from the wine store and some sugar, and pitched the champagne yeast starter that I had going. 5 hours later, and the airlock is going gangbusters. Maybe in midsummer I will have some nice orange wine to sample.

See... I dont have the patience for that... :(

I woke up yesterday morning, and it hit me like a bolt of lightning. I didn't have anything planned!:D

So, around morning coffee, I made up a yeast starter with some wort (unfermented beer) saved from my last batch, and some yeast that I had scavenged from the batch before. Dawdled the rest of the morning, so as to give the starter some more time to get going.

After lunch, I started brewing the second half of the batch of porter that I brewed a couple of weeks ago. In between steps, I helped my son and his friend to mix up a couple of gallons of cream soda mix. Late evening, the beer was ready to go, so in went the yeast starter. It was bubbling merrily this morning.The orange wine and the porter seemed to be having a contest to see which could bubble faster. And tonight, the bottles of cream soda are starting to stiffen up.

Jus give me uh forty o' OE an' I be set. don't make me shank ya!

I just sweetened the orange wine and added some yeast sterilizer to shut the little guys down. A few taste tests to get the amount of sweetener right has me anxious to get this stuff bottled. Yum!

Also bottled a batch of American Pale Ale. The batch of porter that I bottled last weekend is already tasting great, so much so that I am having a hard time staying out of it.

An update.

The orange wine from last year is pretty much rocket fuel. I think that it might burn if you were to light it, and unless really cold tastes harsh. But if you wanna get drunk quick.......

Another batch of (hopefully) better orange wine is a month into process.

I made a dark IPA with a touch of wheat that I really like.

Today was the start of an experiment with hard cider to see if I can make something that my wife will drink on occasion.

There is nothing like the taste of a nice, dark pint of IPA. I am honestly drooling right now!

Y'all can keep your IPA's... I haven't found one yet that I could drink and after trying Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA last weekend, I am DONE buying anything called "IPA"...

I still don't have the patience to make my own...

A lot of people drink it that way but I am not a big fan. I like my beer to taste like beer. Call me crazy or a redneck but I like Bud light more than most other beers.

Latest posts

Back