New installation continues to clog. Help.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busydoc

Reaction score
I have a newly constructed office that opened 3 weeks ago. The second day the toilet overflowed and was accompanied by water backing up into sinks. The plumber pulled 'paper towels' out of the line. The next week he said it was again due to 'paper towels' and changed to a high flow toilet. Yesterday it happened again. A camera showed paper towels (or white balls of some type of paper), and the plumber and building management are convinced we are throwing things in the toilet. The toilet is used by 6 adults who know better than to throw paper towels, sanitary napkins etc down the bowl. I do not doubt that paper is accumulating and causing a clog, but is it possible that the accumulation is because the system was improperly installed in the first place, leading to insufficient pressures? Thanks for your help.

My general experience is that standard toilet paper dissolves pretty quickly, even in drain lines that have insufficient pitch. First thought is that someone is, in fact, flushing something that shouldn't be flushed. What the paper companies like to call "flushable wipes" aren't flushable.

It might be worth the expense to hire your own drain cleaning professional to come out next time to diagnose the problem, if you have serious questions about the original install.

Reactions: SHR
Generally paper towel has to get dissolved in water or you can use Plunger to solve this Issue.
I have always plunged the bowl repeatedly without loosing the seal made by the plunger. It seems to force water back and forth through the trap and break up the clog.

I work at an institution with thousands of highly intelligent people who constantly flush paper towels down the toilets regardless of our recommendations.
People line the toilets as a barrier for their butts and flush them when finished.
We have had less calls since hand dryers were put in, but they then load up on toilet paper to line the seat and we still get calls.
It happens.

Thanks all for your replies. I believe you, but I've been working with these same people for 2 years and have never had a problem until we entered our new space. Perhaps it's a combination of the two...

Thanks all for your replies. I believe you, but I've been working with these same people for 2 years and have never had a problem until we entered our new space. Perhaps it's a combination of the two...

If the plumber doing the diagnosis is also the same plumber who did the work, then maybe the next step is to get a second opinion. It may cost you some money at first, but let management know your intentions before you call and why you are proceeding with the action.

If you call for another camera inspection, let them know all of the details and your concerns. If the original installer could be responsible, they may be less inclined to embellish or exaggerate the situation to make a sale on a job and more likely to give an honest assessment. It may come as a surprise to you, but some people may see this as an opportunity to generate work where none is needed to make money. If the previous plumber has to repair any problems found, the plumber doing the new inspection has no reason to manipulate his findings. At least that's the psychology behind it.

A flow test has to be done and a thorough inspection with water in the pipes is needed to see if there are any bellies, bad connections or obstructions. You can watch the inspection and ask a lot of questions as well as getting a copy of the video (ask if available before scheduling appointment) for review.

It seems like a lot of hassle, but maybe management would be willing to work with you to solve the issue and you could always refer to local plumbing, building and occupancy codes that may require proper operation of fixtures and drainage and adequate sanitary facilities for occupation as leverage. I have worked in public places where the sewer has backed up and if toilets are not available for use, staff have to leave the building until it's cleared and the toilet use has been restored.

Last edited:
Caduceus, that was extremely helpful. Per building management we are limiting access to the toilet, which is absolutely ridiculous. I think you're right....it's time for a second opinion.

Back