Toilet keeps running

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunters

Reaction score
I hope someone here may be able to help me not have a plumber come out for what may be a simple service call. My toilet has started to run well after being flushed. What I've done successfully to stop it from running is by gently lifting a small black vertical "lever" for a second as illustrated by the attached image. I can provide more info if needed, but I don't know what else to provide yet. Thanks for any help!

toilet image.jpg

To repair your toilet, you might only have to adjust the float a bit to ensure the water stops flowing. These do wear out, and if this is the case, go to your local big box hardware store and look for a Fluidmaster 400a, or similar, for about ~$8.00, and install a new one. Follow the instructions, and it should take about 10 minutes before your toilet is up and running (or in this case, not running!) again.

fluidmaster 400a.jpg

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the stupid question, but can you give me any insight to adjusting the float?

Also try below the TOP Red cap there, it should twist off counter clock wise and there should be a replaceable black gasket under there. It could have something inside there stopping it form sealing or it could be worn out. Try to flush it out, or clean it or even replace it. Another thing, make sure the Black float is full of water, hold it down under the water level to fill. Sometimes air is inside that black float and it will not rise properly. Hope this helps.

On your picture, you have a white line indicating "lifting here stops it". What you are pointing at can be turned with either your fingers or a phillips screwdriver. Turning that knob will push the float farther into the water, causing more pressure to be placed on the valve to stop the water completely. Also, please don't apologize. Every person reading this forum has been in this position at one time or another, and we here are happy to help!

Thanks for the tips all. This weekend, I'm going to do something about it. Will report back. Thanks again!

you could also turn the water off to the toilet and along the tube for the fill valve before it gets to the float you'll notice a little ring (you can see it on the picture above that Havasu posted that's kinda in the middle). you can slide that up and it'll allow you to move the top tube up and down to adjust the water level in the tank as well as the rod you can screw up and down. just make sure you got that ring back down all the way back on before turning the water back on to your toilet. Or otherwise the top half of your fill valve will shoot out of the tank like a little rocket =)

Latest posts

Back