how to install gas shutoff valve flush in wall behind gas range

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecm3

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just installed a gas range, but realize the gas shutoff valve is 3" out from the wall (26 1/2" height) so the gas range cannot be flush to the wall.

DSCN3277.jpg

Is there a way to modify the gas shutoff valve such that it's inside the wall/flush along the wall so the gas range can be flush to the wall?

I don't see product like a gas valve box.

Any suggestion?

Thx.

and have the shutoff facing out for easy access

most appliances require a space away from combustables at the back of the units...check your manual for this first before doing all that extra work...if your gyprock is not at least 5/8" fire rated then you will prob have to have an air space back there anyway

What needs to be done is to relocate where the line exits the wall according to the specifications for your particular range.

I'm trying to find a way to keep from moving where the supply gas line comes up from the crawspace.

As you can see the install manual recommends area height for gas valve/outlet to be between 7" to 15".

Gas Range - install - page 4.jpg

I can at least lower the gas valve location to that level. However, the gas valve is 3/4 you can see I downsized it to 1/2" size. The supply gas line at the back of the gas range and the pressure regulator are also around that area so I'm not sure if it could still be in the way and I'd have to bend the flex pipe right there which I don't want to do.

Gas Range - back.jpg

The better location is on the other side of the wall where it's away from the gas supply line in the back of the gas range, but I'm trying to avoid moving the gas line from the wall's location horizontally as that'd mean I'd need to move the branching location coming from the crawl space down below and that's too much work.

Last edited:
I agree with John the line needs to be moved/lowered. You may not have to move the line from it's location( the hole the line is coming up through in the wall) if you can get away with a shorter riser/nipple. Open the wall behind the stove to see if there is any fitting on the line, then check the crawl space to make sure the rise/nipple can be removed. If you can remove the riser/nipple take a measurement of the height you need to the hardware store they should be able to cut and thread the piping to your size. Make sure you have a drip leg on the line as well.

Is it acceptable to run the gas line horizontally (across the studs) to the left of the wall after the riser and the gas shutoff valve at the end (on the left)?

That way the shutoff valve would be far away from the pressure regulator. There would be a lot more room.

best thing to do is cut out the sheet rock, you may be able to move the gas line back by notching out the floor plate, then turn your valve. you can find a box to put it in.

Latest posts

Back