Going nuts With My New Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reMArkable

Reaction score
We just put in a new hot water heater....and since then we have had very weird hot water problems. Most of the faucets give no hot water....or it gets luke warm at best. If the water is on in the island in the kitchen and then i turn on the regular kitchen sink then the hot water in the kitchen sink comes out hot. We have had a electrician look at it and a plumber and they both told us there is nothing wrong with the water heater. What could this be?

Is it put in the right way? I mean are there obvious markings of hot and cold on the heater? Is the hot in the hot and the cold in the cold? I'm assuming the heater is electric.

I suspect Reedwalker has it.

If a tank type water heater is hooked up backwards, the cold water dip tube that drops down to the bottom of the tank will suck the coldest water from the bottom, while the hottest water at the top of the tank stays there. More volume would tend to push some of that hot water from the top down to the bottom where it will get pulled into the dip tube, and voila! hot water.

Latest posts

Back