replace leaking shutoff valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmik

Reaction score
Hi,
I need to replace this water shutoff valve as it is leaking when turned to the open position. this valve controls an outside spicket. I'm assuming I would just cut it out and replace with a new style valve but my concern is that the water pipe doesn't look like copper water pipe. it does look soldered though.

shuhtoff_zps2q7dcqgg.jpg

how should I go about replacing this leaking valve?
thanks

It maybe the packing nut need to be tightened. That's the nut just below the handle.

Thanks. Ill try that. if that doesn't solve the problem can I unscrew that packing nut and maybe replace a worn gasket if that's even possible with this type?

That is copper. The ell is a old fitting, they use to have a longer slip then they have today.

Agreed some older homes used copper pipe with brass fittings that 90 is brass but pipe is copper

That is copper. The ell is a old fitting, they use to have a longer slip then they have today.

Great thanks! I tried tightening the packing nut but it still leaks. when the handle is turned water seems to be leaking from the top of the packing nut. I think I'm going to unscrew the packing nut all the way off and see if there is a gasket in there that I can replace first before I cut the valve out and replace.

Agreed some older homes used copper pipe with brass fittings that 90 is brass but pipe is copper

thanks for verifying the pipe is copper. So I should be able to cut the valve out and replace with newer style if needed? would that older copper pipe fit into the end of the newer style valve?

thanks for verifying the pipe is copper. So I should be able to cut the valve out and replace with newer style if needed? would that older copper pipe fit into the end of the newer style valve?

Yes it's still the same size

OP, both the front and rear shut offs on my house were like that. Closed the valve, removed the handle and packing nut, added about 3 turns of graphite packing then reassembled. Problem solved.
FWIW
YMMV

Hi there
I have a similar problem. I have a gate valve and it is on the main line into the house. Whenever I open the valve or close the valve, there is some water leakage. There is no water leakage when the valve is fully open or fully closed. Is this a packing nut problem as you were describing above? Or should I consider replacing the gate valve for a quarter turn ball valve?

Hi there
I have a similar problem. I have a gate valve and it is on the main line into the house. Whenever I open the valve or close the valve, there is some water leakage. There is no water leakage when the valve is fully open or fully closed. Is this a packing nut problem as you were describing above? Or should I consider replacing the gate valve for a quarter turn ball valve?

It's a packing problem just tighten it up and see if that takes care of it

So I tightened the packing nut and sure enough, the leak has stopped. However, there is significant oxidation on the valve and around the fittings of the valve. Do you think the problem will come back? Is there any way to slow the oxidation by using emery paper to rub off the deposits? If so, what grit emery paper should I use?

OP, both the front and rear shut offs on my house were like that. Closed the valve, removed the handle and packing nut, added about 3 turns of graphite packing then reassembled. Problem solved.
FWIW
YMMV

That is exactly what I ended up doing to fix my problem.

Latest posts

Back