Toilet drain pipe leak repair - help needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derstig

Reaction score
Hi,

I joined this site so I can get some help. We bought our first house a year ago and two days ago we were faced with our first plumbing problem. House is from 1950s and we noticed a ceiling of the ground floor batroom developed cracks and it was very soft upon touching, in fact my finger went right in.

Anyways, I'll cut to the chase, the upstairs bathroom's toilet is leaking everytime the toilet is flushed. A plumber came today who cut the ceiling to take a look and we could easily see water coming down when the toilet is flushed. His recommendation is that he cuts some of the pipe and replaces it with PVC. He quoted me $900 for this job excluding the ceiling. Here are my questions:

- Why is he replacing the entire pipe? Couldnt the problem be just the flange?
- Is $900 too much for this job? We found a handyman who offered to do the same for $400. But obviously he is not licensed and the person who quoted is $900 is reputable and guarantees his work on paper for 2 years. I personally liked him but $900 to me is a lot of money and I still have to repair the ceiling myself. I am also inexperienced with pricing plumbing repairs, which is why I am here. I am a DIY guy though, just never dealt with plumbing before.
- It seems like this issue has been going on for quite some time as I can see black mold developing on the 2x4 under the pipe. Is this a big problem or can I leave it as is?

Thanks.

image.jpg

I can't see the upper section of the pipe but it looks like it may be lead. If it is then replacing a section of the pipe with PVC would be the best solution. As far as price get three estimates from plumbing contractors. It's not a job for a handy man.

I would try replacing the wax ring first. it's common in old homes to stub up lead and wrap it around a cast iron flange. If it was smaller diameter I would say replace it but it looks like 3 in. I've done a ton of work in old homes with this set up if you replace the wax seal and it still leaks then something is wrong with flange or pipe I would then call a pro in to fix it. 900 is on the higher end but it depends on where you are in the country I would do my research and get more quotes average is around 100$ an hour and that's a two man job so I would charge between 400-500. That's a reference point for pricing

Last edited:
Again, NOT a job for a handyman. Get a couple more bids from reputable plumbers. Prices vary widely from area to area and even within areas.

I would try replacing the wax ring first. it's common in old homes to stub up lead and wrap it around a cast iron flange. If it was smaller diameter I would say replace it but it looks like 3 in. I've done a ton of work in old homes with this set up if you replace the wax seal and it still leaks then something is wrong with flange or pipe I would then call a pro in to fix it. 900 is on the higher end but it depends on where you are in the country I would do my research and get more quotes average is around 100$ an hour and that's a two man job so I would charge between 400-500. That's a reference point for pricing

Cast iron flanges are not used with lead pipe. What is used is a brass flange. Some the lead was just folded over the brass flange while others the lead was soldered to the flange. ( I always soldered mine) I also don't see why it is a two man job.

1000-1200 is what my company would charge. I would start by replacing the wax ring

Cast iron flanges are not used with lead pipe. What is used is a brass flange. Some the lead was just folded over the brass flange while others the lead was soldered to the flange. ( I always soldered mine) I also don't see why it is a two man job.

I've seen them both with cast iron and brass I've never seen them soldered in just folded over, but that's good info to know. I was speaking in regards to replacing that drain as a two man job not resetting the toilet. He said he was a diy kind of guy so a toilet rest should be pretty easy. Replacing that section of pipe could probably be done with one person but where i work they won't allow it for liability of someone getting hurt.

I listened your advice and got multiple quoted today: $450, $650, $750, $1200, and $1700. What a variation!

Every one of these guys are plumber companies, they are all licensed. Any reason why I shouldnt go with the cheapest?

Also, do plumbers guarantee their work for certain number of months/years? For instance $450 guarantees for 30 days whereas $900 does so for 2 years. Is it worth paying 2x much for 2 years of warranty?

Location is NJ, and its an upscale town...

Yes buy the warranty . Two years later you will be happy you did. Get it done right the first time

I went with the expensive plumber, but instead of only fixing the toilet he agreed to also fix a few more issues which I was procastinating on.

I had a corroded small leak galvanized pipe in basement (about 10ft) that is the kitchen drain. I also had 7 water shut off valves that were all corroded and leaking when you turn them off. He changed the corroded pipe, all 7 valves, and also the leaking toilet pipe for $1100, in the end he was here today for 7.5-8 hours, 2 people total and overall he did an amazing job. He was a great guy and he earned a customer in the long term.

That being said, when he showed me the cast iron pipe, i didnt see any cracks but its top most part where it meets the flange looked really bad. Could just a flange replacement fix this? Possibly, but you never know. Not worth the risk.

I listened your advice and got multiple quoted today: $450, $650, $750, $1200, and $1700. What a variation!

Every one of these guys are plumber companies, they are all licensed. Any reason why I shouldnt go with the cheapest?

Also, do plumbers guarantee their work for certain number of months/years? For instance $450 guarantees for 30 days whereas $900 does so for 2 years. Is it worth paying 2x much for 2 years of warranty?

Location is NJ, and its an upscale town...

By law we are required to warranty our work for 1 year unless explicitly stated for legitimate reasons. We do not warranty any products that the customer purchased else where and want us to install. We don't warranty stoppages after we clean a drain, BUT if it backs up the next couple days we'll clean it again, unless we know there is a serious problem that requires repairs.
Rubber goods like toilet flappers only 90 days.

Check your local laws. 2 yrs is a good deal.

I joke around with a few customers and tell them they have a tail light warranty.;)
Most of them don't get the joke. I have to explain it to them.

Last edited:
Derstig, I'm glad that you got it fixed and that you were satisfied with the work. Things aren't that expensive where I live, but $1100 for 8 hours of work and fixing more than just the toilet pipe actually sounds reasonable to me-- especially since it looked like lead pipe.

Now, before you patch that ceiling up, put on a mask, spray that with bleach in a spray bottle, wipe it up, and spray some Killz over it when it dries. Black mold is absolutely not something you want hanging around inside your house, even if it is sealed up. Some would say if it was widespread you'd have to get a professional to come in for mold remediation. I hear that can cost around $3k.

Mr_David, I admit my ignorance-- I don't get the tail light warranty. Does it involve you warrantying it until the customer breaks it? Some sort of pun involving brakes?

Latest posts

Back