Pipes bending by themselves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob2

Reaction score
Can anyone explain what may have caused the pipes above my water heater to become bent?

I attached a "before" photo from a couple years ago, that shows the water intake and outlet pipes from the water heater are both vertical.

I noticed today that the pipes are now both bent inwards towards each other, see "after" photo.

I'm not exactly sure if this was gradual or sudden, just noticed. I thought initially maybe the floor heaved, but there is no evidence of drywall cracking on the wall next to the water heater. Plus, the pipes above are PEX, so they should have enough flex to not deform the pipes below. I am thinking they must have been bent at the water heater itself.

The water heater has never given me any trouble; it is about 5 years old. I noticed the gas control box LED is flashing out a signal for "weak pilot signal"... not sure if that is relevant, or if it needs to be addressed.

Thanks for any suggestions! It seems weird, not sure if I should just ignore the pipes, or they are a sign of imminent failure.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Hi Frodo,

Thanks for the suggestions. The water heater is natural gas. Pipes were definitely not hit.

I operated the T&P valve and water comes out freely. I should mention, I've never seen water come out of the T&P valve ever. Also, we have a Watts expansion tank on the cold water right before the water heater.

Hi CT18,

You mentioned it looks like vacuum. If it were possible that the house water was isolated (valved off) and the water heater simultaneously quit working, then I wonder if the shrinking from the cooling water in the tank could implode the tank like that? I of course have shut the house water off when leaving the house for a few days.

Welp, just checked air pressure in expansion tank... zero.

My last question to the forum... if I replace/recharge the expansion tank, do you think hot water heater will survive, or is it a liability at this point?

Also, that PEX pipe leading to the cold side does not look too great. I would consider getting that replaced back to where the piping is not so degraded.

Well fiddlesticks... at least I noticed it before it exploded I guess.

Thanks for the help phishfood! BTW - shouldn't the T&P valve have prevented this, or gave me some warning? It has never leaked a drop.

One would like to think so, but it seems to be somewhat common for this to happen. The picture of your tank looks exactly like pictures of gas tanks damaged by thermal expansion that I have seen. My guess, and that is all it is, is that the overpressure situation does not reach 150 PSI, the blowoff pressure of your normal T&P valve, but happens repeatedly, and eventually the tank deforms. Or maybe the T&P is sticking a little bit.

I would love to see the steel tank with the jacket and insulation stripped off to see if it was expanded or imploded. Seriously. Just for professional reasons to compare to others.

I would absolutely replace it.

The pressure tank has been bent rather drastically, and cannot be counted on to contain the pressure it is subjected to.

Good advice here-

Wondering. The copper supply line running in front of the WH, is that part of a hot water recirculation system?

Latest posts

Back