What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SInce my knees are doing much better, I fired up my treadmill today and watched The Price is Right, and I sweated like a stuffed pig.

I try and be an alcoholic but I fail at that. I have a bottle of whiskey at work for special occasions, I've had it two years and it's still full. I just can't get myself to drink when I have stuff to do.

I've gotten round myself the last few years. I really need a treadmill.

I have no problem staying busy but I don't get the physical labor that I used to since I am the boss. It's hard to work a shovel and run a few crews at the same time.

cant be done. I used to run a crew of 20. all i could do just to keep up with questions, layout, builders.

and nar do wells

every once in a while. mainly after lunch. I could put my tools on and. thats when I was the happiest.

journeymen think being the boss, you stand around and BS all day. they have no idea that crap you have to go thru

builders constantly trying to accelerate the schedule on your ass, other trades in your way. bone heads going off the print, thinking they are ford with a better idea. duct conflicts, elevation conflicts etc etc....
paper work

At this point, I have no desire to work for myself. Dad started his business before I was born. I grew up watching him be the most stressed out man in the world. He's now 40 years in business, still pushing tools today (he works on cars), it has rewarded him well financially but still deals with way more then what I could.

My boss I work for now is the same way for the most part. In the office at 6am every day, gets us off to our jobs, he deals with contractors then can be found quoting jobs until 9 or 10 at night. When we get super busy he still finds time to jump on the service truck. He's 65.

I don't handle stress and being pushed well. For now...I'll just be the right hand man

At this point, I have no desire to work for myself. Dad started his business before I was born. I grew up watching him be the most stressed out man in the world. He's now 40 years in business, still pushing tools today (he works on cars), it has rewarded him well financially but still deals with way more then what I could.

My boss I work for now is the same way for the most part. In the office at 6am every day, gets us off to our jobs, he deals with contractors then can be found quoting jobs until 9 or 10 at night. When we get super busy he still finds time to jump on the service truck. He's 65.

I don't handle stress and being pushed well. For now...I'll just be the right hand man
If you don't like stress and pressure, than you are often better and happier working for someone else.

A one man shop, where you do all of everything, can be OK if you set it up just right. If it isn't set up just right, and you don't have the right perspective, it will eat you up.

I have always had the urge to go further and achieve more, and so, I never could turn down opportunity, nor the responsibility that came with it. It got to the point that it made no sense to deal with the responsibility and stress, without the rewards of being the owner as well. Sometimes, those rewards seem a long way away.

We looked at numerous houses today. Would you believe the best house in the best area for the best price is only about 14 houses from my ex-wife, and the house I purchased 29 years ago?

Back