Turn off water heater when shutting off main water supply??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostin

Reaction score
I will be doing some slow renovations on a property and the water will be shut down for a few weeks. Should I also turn off my water heater while I do this? The water heater is located in a closet on my patio. There are a few nights were the temp may drop below 32F so I am wondering if I should keep it on or off? If I keep it on low I couldn't imagine any damage unless the water some how evaporates overtime and doesn't replenish the water tank causing the heating element to go bad? If I turn off I was concerned with the water heater being exposed to potential below 32F a few nights and freezing the water inside. I don't have an easy way to drain it due to location of 3rd story balcony closet with no drain pipe. Your thoughts?

thanks

If the temperatures only get to freezing or slightly below, there will be enough thermal energy in the water in the tank to keep it from freezing. I would be more worried about the piping that it is connected to.

I personally would drain it, but I'm a worry wart.

I drain tanks by aid of air compressor, or a multi purpose pump, your best bet would probably to hook an in line pump to the drain end of the tank, run a garden hose and pump it into a floor drain, washing machine drain or a tub. Or if you have a few hoses, take it down to the ground!

A few years ago I was working in a mechanical room and I dropped my 3/4" pex crimpers, and wouldn't ya know it....right on the plastic drain valve of a 60 gallon hot water tank. Snapped it right off. The next 5 minutes were just a blur, but I got another drain on there and the shop vac got a work out.....and I got soaked

If the temperatures only get to freezing or slightly below, there will be enough thermal energy in the water in the tank to keep it from freezing. I would be more worried about the piping that it is connected to.

I'll run with Phish. It will take a lot of below Zero temp to freeze the tank.
and not likely to evaporate. Be more concerned with water in the pipes.

A few years ago I was working in a mechanical room and I dropped my 3/4" pex crimpers, and wouldn't ya know it....right on the plastic drain valve of a 60 gallon hot water tank. Snapped it right off. The next 5 minutes were just a blur, but I got another drain on there and the shop vac got a work out.....and I got soaked

I switch em out, on a "good" customers heater. 6'' brass nipple, 3/4 fip x hose connection ball valve with cap and chain

I carry the brass drain valves John Wood uses in their tanks. Oddly enough most of the ones I switch out are on GSW tanks....which are made by John Wood.

Both brands are huge up here.

Man...no offence but this forum needs more Canadians so I'm understood more lol

Oh right, the Ontario boy! But as far as I know I'm the only one following a book that says National Plumbing Code of Canada on it :eek:

We're not an island. We're the east coast. I live on the outskirts of Halifax....capital of the province.

It's kinda odd to see how different products vary from place to place, and to see how things are done in general.

Man...this thread derailed in a hurry. Sorry!

Back