Please help with sewer gases coming from bathtub drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funonahonda

Reaction score
I replaced the drains in my bathroom and now when we turn the water on in the bathtub you can smell sewer gases coming from the bathtub drain, someone told me that the vent pipe was probably pulling the water out of the trap and that I would have to put the trap in front of the trap instead of behind it. Here is a picture to show you to see what you think, Thanks

The vent pipe comes in the side of the bottom T and the bathtub drain comes off of the side of the top T and the overflow comes in the top of the T and then on the left it goes to the main drain.

photo.jpg

AFTER the trap. Cut out the entire trap assembly from the tub drain tee down. The waste line can not elbow down after the trap! You have an unvented S-trap.

AFTER the trap. Cut out the entire trap assembly from the tub drain tee down. The waste line can not elbow down after the trap! You have an unvented S-trap.

Also if the line he is trying to use for a vent is the waste line from another fixture that is vented and that vent connects to another he has an open line from the sewer to the tub overflow.

Latest posts

Back