Toilet keep clogging

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svccbks

Reaction score
I replaced both of my older toilets with new middle line ones from Home Depot. They were installed by a pro plummer. Every time there is a man size usage it clogs and a toilet auger has to be used. Any suggestions?

Hi svc, first off let me just make this clear.. I am in NO WAY a professional plumber or even what I would consider Novice... However, over the years I have experienced so many 'fun' plumbing issues, I have become fairly accustomed to troubleshooting random issues... The first thought I have on this issue is (especially if it's both toilets doing it) lift the lid off the tank on the back's, and check to see if the tank is filling up with enough water to "handle the situation" before the ballcock/float assembly stops the water flow...

Sounds like it's too simple of a fix, but I have also become a firm believer in the K.I.S.S rule over the years lol...

I had sooo many ideas for a great come back on this thread like change your diet, eat smaller meals, provide a courtesy flush, etc, but countryboy is spot on. Confirm that you have the maximum amount of water available for each flush. These low flow toilets sold today are so water wise, this is a common occurrence. I always opt for a more expensive toilet with a great flush rating, but that doesn't help you at this point.

havasu, I have to admit that I did have to momentarily hold down the backspace button a few times myself lol. hopefully the OP isn't having another........ shi*ty day...

The amount of water used in the flush of the toilet is controlled by the flapper. Adjusting the water level higher in the tank DOES add a small amount of water to the flush, as the higher water level adds slightly to the head pressure at the flush valve, but not enough to make big difference.

Also, the bowl is designed to flush using a certain amount of water. Not enough, it won't flush well, too much, and you will be wasting water.

So I doubt that raising the water level in your tank will solve your problem, unless the installing plumber didn't set it properly in the beginning.

If your current flapper doesn't have any adjustment capabilities, you might try one with a float on the chain that you can adjust downwards to make the flapper stay up longer. That would be what I would try first.

The newer toilets with the 3" flushways and 3" flush valves tend to have a phenomenal flush, especially considering the 1.28 gallons used per flush, and are what I recommend for someone who doesn't want to worry about a clogged toilet.

One other thought. Do you have cast iron drainage piping?

Cast iron tends to build up scale on the walls over time, and no toilet will flush properly if the drain line is mostly clogged.

The amount of water used in the flush of the toilet is controlled by the flapper. Adjusting the water level higher in the tank DOES add a small amount of water to the flush, as the higher water level adds slightly to the head pressure at the flush valve, but not enough to make big difference.

Also, the bowl is designed to flush using a certain amount of water. Not enough, it won't flush well, too much, and you will be wasting water.

So I doubt that raising the water level in your tank will solve your problem, unless the installing plumber didn't set it properly in the beginning.

If your current flapper doesn't have any adjustment capabilities, you might try one with a float on the chain that you can adjust downwards to make the flapper stay up longer. That would be what I would try first.

The newer toilets with the 3" flushways and 3" flush valves tend to have a phenomenal flush, especially considering the 1.28 gallons used per flush, and are what I recommend for someone who doesn't want to worry about a clogged toilet.

One other thought. Do you have cast iron drainage piping?

Cast iron tends to build up scale on the walls over time, and no toilet will flush properly if the drain line is mostly clogged.

And this would be the exact reason I started out by saying I am NOT a professional plumber lmao

Only thing I was going off of with what I suggested was I had installed a new toilet this spring and due to the fact that, umm...for lack of a better way to put this... I was in desperate need to find out how comfortable the seat was lmao... I forgot to check the settings from the manufacturer for the float level.. found out then and there it was set waaayyy to low. lol

Back