Cleanouts?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaken-n-stirred

Reaction score
Clean out questions:

1. If I have a glued up P-Trap for a tub which has access from below, is a cleanout required by code? And if so, where (just after the trap? Side entry?)

2. Do I need clean-put on vent piping? Seems odd, but I have read some about it. What are the rules? Most vents are buried in walls, so obviously no clean outs. Some vents tee together in attic spaces, so are vents required and if so where?

3. IF I have toilet with a drain running parallel in a joist bay and no why to get a vertical vent up off the drain in the required 5 or is it 6 feet, can one run a parallel vent above the drain teeing off need the closet flange and running parallel until it can run vertical (and of course you could also have that vertical vent tie into both the horizontal drain and vent at that point)?????????

No clean out is required near a bathtub p trap . If the bathtub becomes cloves up you can cable it from the waste and overflow

Please note, these answers are from FL code, which is an IPC based code.

1. No you do not need to install a cleanout on a tub trap.

2. No you do not need to install cleanouts on vent piping. In some cases, it is a good idea to.

3.Under IPC, you can run unlimited distance from a toilet to it's vent.

Please note, these answers are from FL code, which is an IPC based code.

1. No you do not need to install a cleanout on a tub trap.

2. No you do not need to install cleanouts on vent piping. In some cases, it is a good idea to.

3.Under IPC, you can run unlimited distance from a toilet to it's vent.

really ? thats just wrong!!!!!!

A toilet is designed to siphon it's own trap. It will do this no matter where or how you locate the vent. The only reason a toilet needs a vent is to protect the trap seal against positive or negative pressures produced by other fixtures.

Back