Signature 2000 Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickwhoo

Reaction score
Signature 2000 SR20 6S. With this tank, how often should I check the air pressure? I have been noticing my pump cycling a little too often.

If you have to add air more than twice a year, it's time for a new tank.
Just set the air pressure in the tank 2psi lower than the cut on pressure of the pressure switch.
If the switch is a 30/50, the tank should be 28psi.

From the sound of your post, check the air pressure, add if you need to, and then check it again in 3 or 4 days.
If the pressure has fallen any from the amount you put in it, it's time for a new tank.

Travis

To make sure I did this correctly, I turned off my water pump and drained the pressure tank then checked the pressure and it had none. I started to fill the tank with air to push all the water out untill it stopped. I then lifted the tank to make sure it was empty. Then closed the drain valve and filled it to the required 28lbs of air. It works good noe, the pump is working less now. This tank is about 8 years old and its servicable, meaning I could replace the air bladder in it. Should I just replace the bladder? Thanks

If the bladder turns out to be bad, I would just get a new tank.
Patching something that old is just not that good of an idea.

I think its better to start with new stuff if its that old.(but thats me)

Travis

But this tank is made of fiberglass and to replace just the air bag has got to be alot less than a new tank. Nothing else could go bad on this tank. I think. Anyone have a tank like mine?

Being its fiberglass makes it worse.
My supply house has a huge stack of glass tanks, that are junk.

As the pressure builds and falls, the tank itself will expand and contract.
Over time the tank gets weak and starts to crack.

It would be cheaper to just change the bladder, but I would get a new tank.
I would never sell anyone a glass tank. In my opinion they are the worst tanks on the market.

There are lots of good steal tanks out there.
The type with the diaphragm is a better than the ones with a bladder.
The bladder type can let water get on top of the bladder
and cause undo ware on the bladder, and shorten its life.

Travis

Also check to be sure you don't have a leak in the well.

What kind of well do you have??

Deep water well, submerged pump.
It is somewhat common for the drop in those to start to leak.

If the drop has any galvanized in the hook-up it will rot though.

The is why we only use plastic or brass below the ground.

My house is 8 years old as is the well system. Since I charged the air to 28lbs in the tank my pump is barely coming on. It was coming on off on off almost constantly before I put air in it.

My house is 8 years old as is the well system. Since I charged the air to 28lbs in the tank my pump is barely coming on. It was coming on off on off almost constantly before I put air in it.
Good news!!!:cool::cool::cool:

If it doesn't leak down, you fixed it.
Check the air pressure once a month to make sure it maintains the right pressure, and your good to go.

Travis

Your lucky to have gotten half that long out of a plastic tank. The bag is bad and it will waterlog again soon. Well water steals the air out of the tank each pump cycle. That's what the bag does, keeps the water and air separated.

Eight years, the pump is soon to go also.

But this tank is made of fiberglass and to replace just the air bag has got to be alot less than a new tank. Nothing else could go bad on this tank. I think. Anyone have a tank like mine?

I have the same tank, and it started short cycling about 3 months ago. All this time I thought it was the sump pump making that noise, so I ignored it. My Bad! Any way, I will be following your example and hopefully have as much sucess as you did.

I have the same tank, and it started short cycling about 3 months ago. All this time I thought it was the sump pump making that noise, so I ignored it. My Bad! Any way, I will be following your example and hopefully have as much sucess as you did.
How's yours working out?

Today I had to add air to my tank... Not too bad for 3 1/2 years since the last time I did it. But I need to replace my pressure gauge. I can't read it anymore.

Attachments

• 382134019_1356145498614099_8364862205294851212_n.jpg
    382134019_1356145498614099_8364862205294851212_n.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back