washer drain location

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snrusnak

Reaction score
Hi I'm new and hope this post is in the right place. I'm seeking professional advice, I consider myself very able and handy, but when it comes to plumbing I just need a pro to "check off" on what I'm doing. I would like to fit my truck in my garage to preserve the paint, but can't do so with the washer and dryer in the way. The only place I an move them is on the other side of the garage, past a doorway. My problem is the drain for the washer, I sketched up 4 options, none of which I'm sure will work. I think option 3 is the best choice, as I know the washer pump will be able to handle the vertical head but I am not sure about whether or not the horizontal distance matters...Any help is much appreciated! Also, this is mostly temporary, as when/if we move out it will be returned to it's normal state, so I'm not worried about ugly pipes, etc...on the walls, just need it to be correct as far as pumping, flowing, and venting...etc...Thanks in advance, and sorry the sketch is so blurry.

View attachment SK1.pdf

1. There are code requirements for your standpipe lengths and your pump discharge needs to be indirect to the drainage system.
2. the gpm for the clothes washer and the sump pump need to be compatible.
3. Given your structural conditions; moving the trap and standpipe to the new location is the think to do. Spend the $300-$500 to do it right rather than buying a pump and possibly running into other issues and then finding out you need to move it anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to get into pumps or anything like that. If it isn't possible without pumps then I just won't do it. So if I make a correct standpipe with trap(can look into this later but believe I know how this should be) at the new location, then run a pipe under the door but above the garage slab, then turn up about 6" and into the existing standpipe, this will be ok? Doesn't seem like it will work to me....This is basically option 4 of my sketch...basically from left to right it would be this: standpipe, trap, 10ft of pipe run horizontally, 90degree elbow up six inches, 90degree into wall, T/90degree into existing standpipe, which I assume runs straight down into the slab. It doesn't seem like this would work to me...

That would violate UPC here in Oregon. Your only legal option is to move the location of the washer box to the new location. Hire a plumber.

Ok I'm still not sure what that means, are you saying I would have to dig up the concrete slab and move the plumbing around? If so then the truck can sit outside :(

In UPC code the trap for the stand pipe has to be a min. of 6" off the floor and max 18". Then the standpipe has to be a min. 18" and max of 30". Due to your structural conditions and what you've showed us, I would say yes you would need to cut up the floor TO DO IT RIGHT. You may be able to pull it off some other way. I think the only way to avoid cutting up the floor is to cut out the standpipe and trap, run drainage fittings low under the door if you still have grade(slope) and turn up with a code 90 and plumb your trap and standpipe in the new location. Cut the wall open and you will see what I'm referring to.

Latest posts

Back