Shower wont drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aireq

Reaction score
We've been having trouble with our tub/shower in our apartment not draining. Our shower is the type that has the little lever on the overflow plate to open and close the drain. Yet it is not the pop-up style. The drain opening at the bottom of the tub is just a clear open pipe. Considering this I thought our shower is the plunger style where the drain lever moves a brass plunger at the bottom of the overflow pipe to close and open the drain.

However, when I unscrewed the overflow plate and pulled out the linkage assembly I instead saw a spring at the end rather then a brass plunger. Here's a photo.

TEHCy.jpg

Right now the whole spring linkage assembly pictured above is out of the tub and the tub is still not draining. Is there suppose to be a plunger at the end of this the may have broken off? I also tried plugging the overflow pipe with a wet rag and plunging the tub but that didn't seem to help either. I've also tried passing a ZipIt all the way down the drain pipe and overflow pipe and neither pulled out any clogs or seemed to hit anything

Looks like you are missing the rest of the linkage to the drain stopper assembly. It is down there, somewhere, which I'm certain is the reason for the stoppage.

Probably just hair. Google "Zip It" Costs about $3
Also lots of videos on YouTube.
The linkgage you have goes with a stopper like the one in the picture.Some has probably already removed it and discarded it.
There probably is not any cross bars in the drain opening.
small items ( like disposable razor gaurds and bottle caps) can Enter the drain and get stuck. If so they can be really hard to clear.
Try the Zip It.

Most likely a KOHLER. found a 2nd photo

imagesCA6ESUZ7.jpg

imagesCAM75JHR.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back