Best way to treat calcium

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charless917

Reaction score
I have hard water and need to stop the build up of calcium. I have 2 water heaters ran in a series and a water recirculation pump. I know I need to flush my tanks every so often but I want to treat the problem. Most things I see are for water softeners. I would go this route but my outside garden hose lines apparently are not isolated so if I use a water softener then I would be watering the grass and plants with softened water and i hear thats not so good.

I dont care about the feel of soft water I just want to stop the calcium from damaging everything and causing stains.

What is the opinion of whole house filtration systems? inline main water line filters?

Dont know if its even worth mention "easywater" type sytems.

All I want to accomplish is to stop the build up. I have city water and do not have any type of softener or filtration right now.

Easy one this is - Go out and buy the best MAGNETIC WATER SOFTENER you can afford for your budget. clip this over your pipes where your water comes into your property and sit back.

As for the grass - simply buy a fertiliser if you even need it! the water difference will have very little impact on plants

Easy one this is - Go out and buy the best MAGNETIC WATER SOFTENER you can afford for your budget. clip this over your pipes where your water comes into your property and sit back.

That's a joke as are inline filters. They can't remove calcium or magnesium. Only Ion Exchange can remove those two items and that's what a softener does.

Once installed, you can run a hard water line to your outside faucets.

I myself would like to hear more about any scientific evidence on a magnetic water softner, and whether it is hocus-pocus or not.

The Internet is full of discussions on these things. There is no scientific evidence that supports their usefulness, but lots of people saying they are snake oil.

I have a customer who lives in a very expensive gated community who has a 40 some foot sports fisherman boat. It's gorgeous if your into boats. He wanted to have a softener installed so that he wouldn't have hard water spots after he washed the salt off the boat. A neighbor of his talked him into one of those magnetic gadgets. He bought one for over $800.00 and brought it up for me to see. Even though it was an impressive looking gadget made of stainless and brass and had one heck of a magnetic pull, it didn't do one thing for the spots on his boat. I even called a friend who teaches physics at USF and had him explain why they don't work, but he had to see it to believe it.

Did I mention that I have a bridge for sale?

Its hard to get good information about the "easywater" type systems. People keeps saying that it is impossible to soften water with these.....this is no doubt true....they do not remove anything from the water....this is also true. From the ones I looked at they dont even claim to do these things so why people keep saying it doesnt soften or remove anything is really irritating.

The question that I do have about those is do they work as a descaler. Prevent the build up of calcium. This is what they are supposed to do.

No calcium/minerals gets removed, thats why you still get spots on a boat when washing it.That is also why no water certifications are given for these. They would only get a certification from a water regulation if it could remove something from the water . The only purpose these things have is to prevent the stuff from sticking to fixtures and pipes.

So the question to the scientific community would be..... Can they introduce a charge to minerals that can cause them to not "stick" and form large chunks.

Thanks for the reply's, i did get a water softener and plan on running new new hard water lines for the outside.

Latest posts

Back