Plumbing Layout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrantiii

Reaction score
I'm the owner builder of my new house in Parrish FL. I'm paying for everything out of pocket. SO, I have to do the parts I can myself. To make this more realistic, I've modeled the house all the way down to the plumbing system. I would be willing to pay a licensed FL plumber for an hour to check it all out and let me know if I have everything in order. I do have a permit and it all will be inspected. I have done plumbing before, but I haven't designed a whole system.

I'm in Florida but I'm on the other side of the state. Why not get the plumber who took out the permit. If I had my name on the permit I would make it a point to check the job before inspection.

John

Again, I'm the OWNER/BUILDER. I took out all necessary permits.

Fansplumbing, I have the code book for FL. All I'm looking for is an open minded and honest plumber not afraid of a Do It Yourselfer, to take a look at what I have and point out anything obvious. "hmm, you should have had a P trap here" or , "you don't need to vent that". The Plumbing route and pipe size was speced by a licensed engineer and of course all plumbing has to be inspected. My only goal here is to avoid failed inspections. I don't need you "name on the permit".

Like johnjh2o, I am in FL, but a little far away, up above Orlando.

If you can post clear schematics or pictures, we will help as much as we can.

And do not count on an engineer. I am starting an apartment complex right now with some plumbing designs that won't work, are against code, are oversized, don't have the available head room to be installed, show cleanouts in an unaccessible attic space, etc. You are being wise to try to get someone who knows what they are doing to take a look.

Thanks phishfood. Here are some screen captures of the plumbing model. Black water are 3" and gray 2". All water lines are CPVC and waste/vents PVC or ABS. This dumps into a septic. I have a 3" clean out at the exit pipe above grade. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And, if you need a different view, let me know.

http://fairpricestudio.com/plumbing/1.jpg
http://fairpricestudio.com/plumbing/2.jpg
http://fairpricestudio.com/plumbing/3.jpg
http://fairpricestudio.com/plumbing/4.jpg

Just to make things easier.....

plm pic 1.jpg

plm pic 2.jpg

plm pic 3.jpg

plm pic 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What havasu said plus I see unwashed horizontal vents below the flood of the fixture and a vent on what appears to be a shower that is on the house side of the trap.

John

Last edited:
I do a print screen, then move the image to my "Paint", make my comments then save image to my photos (or documents) them move them as an image to one of my posts.

Or you could right click "save image" to Paint, make modifications, and save to your computer and pick up the image when you post.

OK Phish, get a felt pen and just write on your screen and print it. I swear it will work! :)

Havasu, should it be a y? If yes, should the elbows from the sink and dish washer be 45s instead of 90s? This was one of my questions. I understand that a soft corner improves flow - but 90s are easier (in my mind) to lay out. Thanks to all of you. This is exactly what I needed.

Again, I am not a plumber but I have read lots of plans and watched what the experts in here have always preached and I believe a 45 and a y would be the way to solve that area. Please wait for more replies to confirm my thoughts.

On your shower you show the vent connection to the tailpiece. It should be after the trap. May have just been a drawing error.

Let's see if my wife'scomputer skills are improving.

BTW, the link was about as useful to me as nipples on a male pig. I pushed Print Screen, and nothing happened. I did the Control + V thing, and nothing happened. I hate computers, I hate people who write instructions for using computers tailored to people who already know how to use computers, I hate all of you who are laughing at me right now, I hate Bill Gates, I hate Steve Jobs, hate, hate, hate, curse you forevers.........

For some effing reason, I can't get the doctored up image to load into this post. I have it in My Pictures, I click Manage Attachments, find the image, click to open, click Upload, it acts like it is uploading, but doesn't appear in this post.

Repeat my above rant, but with the expletives undeleted.

Last edited:
I feel you pain. I've been a designer for 16 years and I work solely on Macs. My wife HAD to buy a PC last week to test a clients web site on IE. She bought the PC used and it took nearly 24 hours to get it updated enough to load IE9 (it was on 7). If it were a Mac, it would have taken about an hour.

So, the thing about print screen on a PC is that it doesn't save a file. It holds the image of your desktop in memory. You then have to paste the image into another software to use it.

Caduceus, this is exactly what I need. So, do shower vents need to come after the trap? Its seems to me like this would slow the flow of the drain as water would push up into the vent. But - I know nothing.

http://fairpricestudio.com/plumbing/vent_trap1.jpg
http://fairpricestudio.com/plumbing/vent_trap2.jpg

vent_trap1.jpg

vent_trap2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I still see with both of those schematics is that the vent is laying flat after it comes off of the drain line. It needs to be on at least a 45 degree angle from the horizontal to meet code.

I just emailed havasu the doctored schematic. If he can open the attachment and then get it to post on here, I will post some commentary that should be of some help.

Here you go........

Thanks for the assist, havasu.

I am drawing in my recommendations in black.

OK, starting from the left. I am assuming that the vent farthest to the left is the kitchen sink? I drew it in using an combination wye and 1/8 bend fitting that points straight at the vent stack. You can use a wye as you have it drawn, it is just a little easier and uses less pipe to do it like I drew. Turn up into the wall behind the sink, use a sanitary tee to turn out for the drain arm, and vent through roof out of the top of the sanitary tee.

Next in line is the first bathroom group. Once again, a combination wye and 1/8 th bend, than another to send a line off to catch the shower and lavatory. An 1/8th bend to turn toward the toilet, than a closet bend to turn up for the toilet. The side branch for the shower and lavatory will get another combination wye and 1/8th bend for the branch off to the lavatory. Then another 1/8th bend turning towards the shower, and a P-trap for the shower. On the lavatory branch, two more 1/8th bends to turn back towards the lavatory, then turn up for the lavatory and use a sanitary tee in the same way as the kitchen sink, then vent through the roof. The lavatory vent serves the lavatory, the shower, and the toilet. Note that the total length of piping and fittings from the point that the lavatory branches off until the P-trap for the shower can be no more than 6 feet, given that the shower trap is 2". This type of venting arrangement is called wet venting. The vast majority of bathrooms that I have plumbed drainage to in my plumbing career have been installed this way.

Just a short distance upstream, install a wye to tie in a drain line going to the laundry room.

Carrying on to the next bathroom, use another combination wye and 1/8th bend to catch the drain from the toilet, and once again, a closet bend to turn up for the toilet. Another combination wye and 1/8th bend towards the lavatory drain, and once again, the lavatory vents through the roof, and is the vent for the entire bathroom. No more than 6 feet from the lavatory attachment, the trap for the bathtub or shower.

Now we only have the laundry room drain left. The line carries all the way into the wall in the laundry room, and turns up between the washing machine and the laundry sink. That is a laundry sink, correct? A sanitary tee points sideways in the wall for the P-trap for the washing machine box. Then above that is another sanitary tee that points the other direction in the wall, and then a short sweep 1/4 bend turns out for the laundry sink. MAKE SURE that the tee for the washer box is on the bottom, and the tee for the laundry sink on top.

Has this been of help? Do you need to know sizes for the piping?

pf asst.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back