Toilet Installation/Rough-In

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meggie

Reaction score
I found a Kohler Toilet that I really like (design/style). It is for a 12 inch rough-in. However, I have a 14 inch rough-in. The Tank on the one that I currently have installed sits about 2 inches from the wall. It, too, is a Kohler but it is several years' old; I don't know if it was a 12 or 14 inch.

The one that I want to buy (Kohler Memoirs) is not made for a 14 inch. Will the 12 inch be doable ??

Thanks,

Measure from the wall behind the toilet to the bolts that mount the toilet to the flange (floor). That will determine the toilet rough-in size. 12 inch rough-in is usually 11 1/2 " finished. If the existing tank sits 2 inches off of the wall and the measurement to the flange bolts is about 13 1/2", then your existing tank is a 12" rough-in toilet. The same measurements correspond to a 14" rough-in toilet.
If you currently have a 14" toilet and install a 12" toilet, then it will sit 2" further from the wall.
Did that make sense or confuse you? Sorry if it sounds complicated, so let us know if this helps.

Actually, the measurement from the Wall to the middle of the Bolt is 14 inches. I don't have a clue what size I currently have installed. The house was built in '70 -- thus, enough room for a Large Tank, which is probably why the newer (but not so new now) tank sits 2 inches or a tad over 2 inches from the wall. So, if I am understanding what you are saying, if I should get this New Kohler, it will sit even further out from the Wall -- like around 4 inches ??

The center of the flange is your 'constant'. If your existing toilet currently sits 2" off of the wall and the center of the flange is 14" from the wall then 14"-2"= 12" rough-in toilet. If you buy another 12" rough in toilet it will sit the same.
If flange center is 14": 1.) A 14" rough in toilet will have the tank about 3/4" off the wall.
2.) A 12" rough in " " 2 3/4" off the wall.
3.) A 10" rough in " " 4 3/4" off the wall.
From the info that you gave me your 14" flange will have a 12" rough in toilet which will sit approx. 2" from the wall behind it (tank).

MAny of the manufacturers make 14" rough-in toilets. Your retailer should have catalogs. Or go to the Kohler website.

According to Kohler's "Toilet Selector" they have many 14" rough in toilets. Might not be the one you already chose.

Toilet Selector Tool

Latest posts

Back