Anyone know what this is????

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robwaxman

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this before??? It's like a wet black sediment that looks like it came up our shower drain. Help!!

image.jpg

Looks almost like a really cool painting of some defoliated trees.:D

Sorry. Your drain has backed up, and sediment, gunk, and yuckies have invaded your shower as a result. The main drain line will probably need to be snaked.

usually that type of back up may have occurred while someone was cleaning a drain. Possibly a neighbor, that is if you have common drains with another unit.Cabling a drain stirs up the sludge and sediments.

Well this actually happened at my house a month ago and there were roots in the line.

You guys think I can try
Some main line cleaner? Or is that useless?

You can try it but if there is roots it won't help. Best bet is to get someone to run a snake through the main. And not waste any money on drain cleaners.

Do you know if that came up the drain or from the faucet in the tub? The reason I ask is it looks a lot like sulfur off pipes from a well when air gets into the pipes or someone was working on the system.

It's def coming up through the drain. I cleaned it
Out last night and a little came back this morning. I just notched that down the street they were doing some construction to pipes. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

By the way, the water drains pretty good down that drain.

It doesn't matter if it drains good down that drain. It came up through our toilet and tub when we ran the washer and its down stairs everything else is upstairs.

If the drain only has a partial blockage, that individual fixture might drain just fine, but when a high volume fixture or multiple fixtures upstairs discharge, the partial blockage might not let the entire volume of water through. The excess would back up through the lowest fixture, usually a shower or tub.

Try having someone else drain several fixtures at once on an upper level while you watch this drain, and see if it backs up into the shower.

Latest posts

Back