Thread Specification for Toilet Valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevoltin

Reaction score
I am looking for the designation and specifications for the threads at the base of a standard toilet valve for residential applications. This is the thread that mates with the water line just below the toilet reservoir on most toilets.

This should be the same thread used for common threaded water lines.

It appears to be a straight thread, but does not match the size of any pipe threads.

Thanks, that's exactly what I ended up doing. I went to a facility with very good measurement tools and carefully measured the thread details.

In addition, I have now learned that the thread is an old thread standard that is primarily used for toilet valves today.

It is 7/8 inch Iron Pipe Size (IPS) thread.

This is definitely a straight thread. It has no taper over the full 2.00 inch length typical on toilet valves.

If anyone wishes to get a copy of the detailed measurements, please ask.

measure it and dont try to look for a straight thread at the hardware.

Baltimore Plumber
Master Plumber License #17631

Five Star Plumbing Services
728 Baltimore Pike Suite 115
Bel Air, MD 21014 Tel: (410) 836-0118

It's not a straight thread. 7/8"

I was curious why several people have posted that this is not a straight thread. I have a guess as to why that is happening - I probably did not explain myself very clearly.

I was looking for the thread that is used at the base of the fill valve column within residential toilet tanks. This is the thread that runs through the floor of the toilet tank and has a water line attached on the end.

Because this thread has to go through the floor of the toilet tank (with varying thickness), get secured with a nut against the floor of the toilet tank, and have a water line attached at the end, it is a long, straight thread.

Calling it a toilet valve was a bad choice of words.

Curious as to why the question was asked. Most people looking to do a repair or install are satisfied without the specs of the fill valve spud, but you are asking for such detail as if you are preparing to invent or fabricate an appurtenance for toilets.
Like I said, just curious.

Curious as to why the question was asked. Most people looking to do a repair or install are satisfied without the specs of the fill valve spud, but you are asking for such detail as if you are preparing to invent or fabricate an appurtenance for toilets.
Like I said, just curious.

You are correct. I am designing a new product for a client. This product will take the place of the "fill valve spud" (I just learned a new term), so I needed to have the detailed specs. I have modeled this thread into a molded body for the new product.

When the product is available on the market, I will post a follow up to this forum. At the moment, I am obliged to not discuss my client's upcoming product.

Maybe I can give some advice that will help you in your design. I have a friend who is an independent patenting agent and we have had many conversations about the plumbing industry. I have seen a number of widgets that have been patented, prototyped and produced for the plumbing world. When a plumber like me has a service call and discovers one of these items attached to a toilet supply, fill valve, overflow, ect. we focus on it as the reason for the service call. No problems existed before the attachment or purchase and after a short period of time the troubles start to show up. Upon removal of the appurtenance, life goes back to normal.
So my advice is this. Be sure the item is time tested and true to its function. Be sure it does not contribute to or create a new problem. If there is no practical need for it, the plumbing community is not likely to welcome or purchase it...it becomes an added expense and just another thing to break/leak and cost us all more money. Use durable materials and go above the minimum specs on design, early failure of a product will put it into a grave fast. (We all remember what happened to polybutylene epoxy when exposed to chlorinated water).
If you can find a plumber to test and critique the prototype, do so with non-disclosures signed, of course. We can be great cynics, but also will praise without bias.

If you are successful, we would all love to see a new product that continues to push the plumbing industry through the 21st century.

My guess is that it is a hand sprayer which connects to the supply line....."to give one that fresh bathed feel!"

How did I do?:cool:

Nice, havasu. That would be better than another 'green' water saver valve. Reduces the volume of water flowing into the toilet tank. Problem is, the tank volume is the tank volume. It still requires the same amount of water to flush. Same thing goes for the water savers for filling the bowl via the overflow tube. Most people end up complaining that their toilet bowl doesn't clear well. Creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.lol.

Nice, havasu. That would be better than another 'green' water saver valve. Reduces the volume of water flowing into the toilet tank. Problem is, the tank volume is the tank volume. It still requires the same amount of water to flush. Same thing goes for the water savers for filling the bowl via the overflow tube. Most people end up complaining that their toilet bowl doesn't clear well. Creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.lol.

With any luck, this product will be on the market in a few months. At that time I will post about it.

Maybe I can give some advice that will help you in your design. I have a friend who is an independent patenting agent and we have had many conversations about the plumbing industry. I have seen a number of widgets that have been patented, prototyped and produced for the plumbing world. When a plumber like me has a service call and discovers one of these items attached to a toilet supply, fill valve, overflow, ect. we focus on it as the reason for the service call. No problems existed before the attachment or purchase and after a short period of time the troubles start to show up. Upon removal of the appurtenance, life goes back to normal.
So my advice is this. Be sure the item is time tested and true to its function. Be sure it does not contribute to or create a new problem. If there is no practical need for it, the plumbing community is not likely to welcome or purchase it...it becomes an added expense and just another thing to break/leak and cost us all more money. Use durable materials and go above the minimum specs on design, early failure of a product will put it into a grave fast. (We all remember what happened to polybutylene epoxy when exposed to chlorinated water).
If you can find a plumber to test and critique the prototype, do so with non-disclosures signed, of course. We can be great cynics, but also will praise without bias.

If you are successful, we would all love to see a new product that continues to push the plumbing industry through the 21st century.

I will suggest having the prototypes tested by plumbers. We do need good feedback to make the product work well and be practical. I've seen many a ridiculous invention over the years. This product has a clear purpose and solves a known problem. We'll see...

Thanks, that's exactly what I ended up doing. I went to a facility with very good measurement tools and carefully measured the thread details.

In addition, I have now learned that the thread is an old thread standard that is primarily used for toilet valves today.

This is definitely a straight thread. It has no taper over the full 2.00 inch length typical on toilet valves.

Hey! Are you stil able to send me the detailed measurements of the 7/8" IPS? Would be very helpful to have a small sketch.... ;-)

Thanx in advance!
Leif

HI, Could you send me a copy of the thread spec. Thanks Christopher

Latest posts

Back