Tub Faucet Handles

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doitmyself

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm brand new here and need help.

My mother's house was built in 1959 and might have the original bathtub faucet handles. I noticed that one or both of them were leaking so I tried to replace them. After going to Home Depot five times I ended up having to use 'universal' fitting handles. Not good.
I found out at Home Depot that the model (?) of the handles is 'E'. Of course, Home Depot doesn't have these nor does Lowes. Very frustrating.
The new handles don't fit correctly and the leak is still there.

Does anyone know where I can buy replacement handles? I looked online but can't find anything.

Thanks!

Maybe we are talking about different things here, but I have never seen a tub valve that leaked, or didn't leak, because of the handles.

Do you mean handles, as in the knobs that you would grasp to turn the water on and off? Or the stem that is inside of the valve that has rubber seals?

Maybe we are talking about different things here, but I have never seen a tub valve that leaked, or didn't leak, because of the handles.

Do you mean handles, as in the knobs that you would grasp to turn the water on and off? Or the stem that is inside of the valve that has rubber seals?

Hi and thank you for responding. I'm sure the handles aren't the problem, that would be silly now that I think about it. I'm having a plumber come over tomorrow to see what's going on but I need to replace the old faucet handles. I took one to Home Depot and was told that they are a model 'E' but of course they don't carry them and neither does Lowes.
The handles are heavy and pitted and were covered on the inside with mineral deposits. I bought an extractor and removed them. I purchased the one-size-fits-all handles and after a zillion trips to Home Depot and one to Lowes, they don't fit properly. I am so frustrated I could scream.
I've looked online and cannot find the proper handles.

Considering that the valve is that old, and it doesn't have temperature/pressure balancing capabilities, she should consider having it replaced with a modern tub valve.

There are several online plumbing supply sites that have a pretty good selection of stems and handles.

http://arpny.com/

http://www.lockeplumbing.com/faucet/stemguide.htm

Just a couple.

Latest posts

Back