Hot water is HOT!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
So I have known my hot water was hot but I was washing a thermometer and my hot water is coming out at 150 degrees, is this normal? My water heater is set below recommended closer to warm.

Does the water seem extremely hot to you or do you have a faulty thermometer ? 150 is too hot for residental use, residental usually around 130-135. If your gas control (gas valve) is set to a normal setting and you're getting 150 the gas control could be bad.

Last edited:
The water heater is about 2 years old. It has been this way since day one. Definitely too hot to touch. It's odd if it has been idle for several hours or a day or more it will not be so hot and feel like any other home but after the first shower the second will be even hotter which is when I read the 150. I did use two different thermometers.

My house is about 120-125 at the tap and water heater is set to roughly 140. I would agree with the faulty gas control. Try turning it down a bit for a while and see if it makes a difference (unless you already tried that) If it doesn't I would say gas valve for sure.

scald time @ 150 degree 1.5 sec. on an adult skin.. keep the little ones away. Call the manufacturer to see if heater is still under warranty (the gas control valve)

I have not tried anything yet. I will try to turn it down but then my first shower will be cold but the next will be fine. Guess who will get to shower first?

I think it is under warranty but I will have to check. Sears is usually pretty good.

With that baby, be really cautious about scalding. I have my temp set at 120 and works perfectly fine.

When you turn the knob does it click? That clicking sound should be the "thermostat " inside the valve. When you hear that the rank should shut off or turn on instantly. If it is a tank that is

Water heater comes from the manufacturer set at 120 . We get lots of calls about running out of hot water with temp set that low. Although 120 is safer , 120 will not hold up to multiple back to back uses with out running out of hot water. Every residental water heater we install we set them to 130-135 unless the owner wants them set lower. When winter comes the ground water is much colder 120 will be even harder to keep up especially with back to back uses.

I apologize for failing to mention that my water heater is tankless, so the 120 is the constant setting.

Garage & Shed Pics (55).jpg

Yeah mine has a black dial with no numbers on it. I turned it down so i will test the temp again this evening and see where it goes.

In Michigan the maximum water temperature for an untempered fixture is 140 degrees. Tempered water cannot exceed 120 degrees.

Check your incoming water screen. It could be plugged. You may want to check your gas pressures as well. Are you on a well? Has it been doing this from the beginning? Navian heaters are usually really good. There could be a build up on the flow sensor. Your dip switches could be set wrong.

No well, city water. Where would be my screen? from the begining of this heater 2 years ago. Don't know the rest of what you are asking.

Latest posts

Back