Water Heater help.... Ideas on what to use

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead77

Reaction score
So my wife and I are remodeling our bathroom and need ideas on a water heater or heater(s).

We currently have a 60 gallon water heater (natural gas), and normally this is plenty except when running a large corner bath. With our bathroom remodel, we are doing a dual zone shower, each side with 5 shower heads....10 shower heads in all. Supply will be (2) 3/4" lines.

NORMALLY...only 1 or 2 shower heads will be used and our current hot water heater would be fine. But on the Rare occasion that my wife and I would both be in the shower at the same time, and both running multiple heads (worst case all heads), we would be sucking down close to 24 gpm.

We looked into Tankless, but none can supply 24gpm. If we went with a large 100gallon tank, it could be drained dry in 4-6 minutes. We also looked at Hybrid (tank with tankless attached), but not very much information on them or reviews.

Anyone have idea's or suggestions.....and use less shower heads is not a valid suggestion. (you and I know someone would say it).

Thanks guys/girls!!!!!

thanks for the replies....

I did see someone mention the hybrid idea, we had also thought that. This is the one we had in mind.

https://www.kbauthority.com/Rinnai-...ing&utm_term=1100401025197&utm_content=Rinnai

concerned a bit , since this is a fairly new concept and not many reviews on it. I wanted to also run a Recirculation unit, however concerned with a tankless combo it might be running all the time if I do. Takes a VERY long time to get hot water up to the master bath.

**edit, I do also like the fact it uses standard B vent and we would not have to run special venting like most tankless require.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the 24 gpm is not all hot water, it's being mixed with cold.

We did think of that also..however my wife does love her hot water, I think she could drain the tank herself with her scalding hot showers. :)

damn dude, I LOVE the amount of heads

If it were my shower, And the hot water was a concern I would bite the bullet and add
a 40 gallon water heater for half of the shower

Thanks brother we are excited for it. Going to be a full Kohler Shower. (2) 3 port digital valves. her side: 3 body sprays,12" rain shower, hand held shower. My side: 3 body sprays, 12" rain shower, fixed shower head. Also running 4 digital controls. 2 outside the shower to turn on each side and pre-heat the water, 2 inside the shower (one on each side).

Thanks brother we are excited for it. Going to be a full Kohler Shower. (2) 3 port digital valves. her side: 3 body sprays,12" rain shower, hand held shower. My side: 3 body sprays, 12" rain shower, fixed shower head. Also running 4 digital controls. 2 outside the shower to turn on each side and pre-heat the water, 2 inside the shower (one on each side).

you are forgetting something

make one of the shower valves a tub and shower valve

install the tub spout 18'' above the floor, use it as a foot rinse

and to fill mop bucket or wash the dog

you are forgetting something

make one of the shower valves a tub and shower valve

install the tub spout 18'' above the floor, use it as a foot rinse

and to fill mop bucket or wash the dog

HA HA HA..now your just being silly...tub spout, who in the hell would put 11 spots for water to come out in a shower, 10 is perfectly sane, but 11? :) j/k

The way you have described your water pressure problem seems to boil down the way your existing master's bathroom plumbing is set up, if you have great water pressure from other sources and your master's get the least of the pressure, you might have some diverted pipes that are off a bit and as a result are affecting your water pressure. Also the number of bends you make in routing your plumbing lines will eventually decrease the pressure for each fixture. Also, if you run 3/4" pipe, you need consider that source must be either at 3/4" or bigger then decrease as it goes to the farthest or highest point to be supplied with water and not the reverse or else you will decrease the pressure abruptly. I hope this helps.

Back