Shower valve outlets?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesp

Reaction score
Just received my American Standard R128 valve body and am not sure if the outlet ports should look like this:

881ca1e1f6a29600fc6991b2184fb1cd.jpg

Is it normal for the hole to be rough and incomplete or did I get a bad valve?

Thanks for your help!

View attachment IMG_2605.jpg

The body is rough cast and then the ports are machined.
That does look a bit rough. You could if you are careful smooth out the edges just a bit with a dremmel. Personally I would just put it in like it is.

If I was building a high performance racing engine and I wanted to maximize air flow through an intake and exhaust manifold, then I would smooth out all the rough edges. But it's just a Tub/shower valve.

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I was able to reach American Standard customer support and send them pictures. They indicated that it is a manufacturer defect and are sending me a replacement valve. So, they get a poor score for quality control, but a good score for service.

I did look at Moen but couldn't find a valve made for expansion PEX. Delta does have that option with their R10000-MF, so they may be the choice for the next bathroom redo.

I'm putting in a soaking tub, so any recommendations for a valve that won't require 30 minutes to fill the tub? American Standard indicated that their valve limits flow to 2.2 gpm which makes sense for the shower head, but is ridiculous for the tub outlet.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I did look at Moen but couldn't find a valve made for expansion PEX. Delta does have that option with their R10000-MF, so they may be the choice for the next bathroom redo.

Thanks again!

you buy a threaded x pex adapter to install on the valve

btw, run 3/4 pex to the valve not 1/2''

Thanks for that guidance Frodo! I am planning to run dedicated 3/4" lines to the soaking tub in the master bath. For the shower in the basement, I was only planning to have 1/2" branches coming off a 3/4" trunk. Will that be sufficient given the flow restrictions on shower heads?

Thanks for that guidance Frodo! I am planning to run dedicated 3/4" lines to the soaking tub in the master bath. For the shower in the basement, I was only planning to have 1/2" branches coming off a 3/4" trunk. Will that be sufficient given the flow restrictions on shower heads?

that will work

Latest posts

Back