sink depth vs. drain height question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfb321

Reaction score
I'm having a problem finding a sink that will fit due to a high drain pipe. The center point of the horizontal drain pipe that exits thru the back wall is 14 1/2" below the bottom of the counter top, or 20” off the floor. There will not be a disposal, but will need a dish washer drain fitting above the p trap. The countertop will be 1 1/4” thick. This is in a high rise condo and the drain cannot be lowered. What type of sink (drop in or under mount) and what depth sink will fit these measurements?

The shallowest one you can find

which is what is in there now, a fifty year old 6" deep drop in. Nice! I could always do that and maybe keep the same formica counter tops. But, back to my question. Is there anything better? Perhaps the only solution is to start at HD, pick out the P trap and the other required drain fittings, go to the sink dept. and start having them open sink boxes so I can line up the drain basket length with the other parts and see how they add up.

Like I said in original post, no disposal. Condo wont allow them. I think I am stuck with another 6" drop in. Looking at my own setup, I see:

Drain basket + threaded connection - 4"

PVC DW T + PVC P-trap 4 1/2" (to center of p-trap outlet)

HD carries a 6" drop in/ under mount combo. If my measurements are correct, I would be dead on with the under mount with no room for a drop from trap to drain. Surface mount, no problem. The sink base is already in. I could use some scrap wood as a fake counter top, hook up the connections and see if it fits as an under mount. If not, use it as a drop in.

Hey, this is my daughters condo. If it was a 50K reno on a 2 mil house in the suburbs, then spending an extra k to tear into plumbing would be ok.

Went to HD. They have drain baskets only 2" deep. Elkay makes a 6" deep undermount that will fit the 30" sink cab. With washers and gaps, it will put the center of the p-trap exit at 13 1/2" under the CT, giving me another 1" for safety margin and pitch. Not ideal, but way better than a drop in over granite

Latest posts

Back