adding a trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadaguy

Reaction score
I have recently moved my washing machine and had to add a new drain line for , i had relizes yesterday that there in no trap , i have attached some pics , the first shows what i have , and the second one shows what i would like to do , just want to make sure that it is ok.
Thanks

P1060563.jpg

P1060562.JPG

Last edited:
That would be a running trap, prohibited by code.

It needs to be on the other side of what I am assuming is the vent. The pipe that the washing machine discharges into needs to attach to the top of the trap, and continue vertical for at least 18", preferably 24"-30". There can be offsets in that vertical pipe. The drain side of the trap needs to connect to the horizontal as it would in your picture, but it needs to be on the other side of what I am assuming is the vent.

so if i put it the way i have in the pic is it that bad ? what problems would i get . thanks

The trap would siphon and allow sewer gas into your home. Which will cause a health hazard.

John

if the sewer line is to the right when looking at pic how would sewer gas siphon

P1060562.JPG

Last edited:
For one the momentum of the washer waste would siphon the trap. Plus if that line is also serving a sink on the other side of the wall you are know DBL traping the sink. Which is also not permitted.

John

Yeah definitely not a good idea and it will siphon the trap like John said. Also like John said you can't double trap. There's a couple ways you can re do it properly. I feel the best way is to on the vertical piece for the washer put in a sanitary tee, on the top of tee connect a vent, best way is if you have a vent already that you can tie into, or you could do an AAV for a vent. Then off of the side outlet you put in piece of pipe that is minimum 2x diameter of pipe ex. If pipe is 1 1/2 you need a 3 inch long piece between trap and tee. Then you need a 24" piece coming up vertically on the other end of the trap. The top of that 24" piece must be 36" off the floor, if its not then make the 24" piece longer. These are all minimums I have stated. And off the top of the tee, your vent must be tied in above flood level rim of the washer, so if the drain backs up then the vent doesn't act as a secondary drain. And I'd suggest a cleanout, I'd install it in the vertical portion either above or below the sanitary tee, I'd put it in the vent portion, and lastly be sure to use a union trap. Technically speaking laundry needs to be 2" drain according to code. These codes are all based in Canada FYI in alberta specifically, so they all should apply to you. Best of luck if you have any questions let us know!

Canadaguy, I must apologize. I totally missed that the drain line you are tied into serves a bathroom sink.

If I am now understanding the piping arrangement correctly, I see only one good way of doing this. You need to add a sanitary tee to the biggest pipe, the one in the middle. With a 2" branch, then a tee on it's back for a vent, then a minimum of 4" of 2" pipe to the Ptrap for the laundry, and then the 24" riser for the washing machine.

The way it is currently piped is going to cause troubles with the lavatory trap without considerable reworking.

Well thank you for all the help . But I came up with a very easy solution. Go to Home Depot buy some hose and run it to we're I was originally draining and cap the one I am using now . Thanks everyone

UPC doesn't allow sanitary tees on their back for anything, including vents. Y with a 45 or combo is required.

Interesting. Where I am at in Alaska it is not legal to put a sanitary tee on its back.

For a vent, I don't see why not. It can't make much difference in airflow.

Latest posts

Back