Toilet doesn't refill after flushing?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tflo77

Reaction score
I recently replaced refill valve, since then the toilet doesn't refill after flushing.
What could I have done wrong in the process? I currently would have to go in and manually push down on the lever to the refill valve to get the toilet to refill.

Sounds to me like your float valve is binding. Check for this, and if it is not the case, it may be possible you have a defective valve.

Simply check and see if there's a jam with the float valve?

Exactly. Can you post a picture of what you have done? Did you replace the flapper? Is the chain adjusted correctly? Did you install what is pictured below?

fluidmaster 400a.jpg

I have a problem with my tank not refilling either. The parts seem okay, the flow into the tank is minimal. If I reach under and cut off the main water valve then crank it back open the tank immediately fills. Flush again and the water trickles in. Close and open the valve and it again fills immediately.

Sounds like a blocked/broken valve to me. Remove the supply line to the toilet (after draining the tank) and place it in a bucket and open and close the valve several times to see it you get sediment. If so, the top of the float is probably clogged with sediment as well.

I'm at my vacation house right now and am having the same problem with the bowl receiving less water than normal. Upon looking closer, I saw the small plastic tubing was pinched, choking off the water in the bowl.

dpotesta said:
I have a problem with my tank not refilling either. The parts seem okay, the flow into the tank is minimal. If I reach under and cut off the main water valve then crank it back open the tank immediately fills. Flush again and the water trickles in. Close and open the valve and it again fills immediately.

Sounds like you have a flood safe supply line! They shutoff the water flow if a certain amount of water passes through them.

johnjh2o said:
Let me add if you have a flood safe supply line take it out. There have been many failures with them.

John

Exactly, I should of been more clear.

Latest posts

Back