Particles of rubber (from pressure tank) in water?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As anyone ever heard about small rubber particles flowing out of every faucet caused by the bladder or diaphgram in a pressure tank? (but tank works perfectly!?!).

Anyone experienced that? If so, is this frequent? Any brand or model in particular?

Please feedback even if you haven't seen that problem.

Thanks!

Last edited:
sorry nobody responded to your question.
Sounds odd. How do you know the tank is working.
There should be a needle air valve on the tank.
If you deprees it you should get air and no water out of it. But if it's on top of the tank then it may not be an accurate test that the diaphram has failed.
could be a neoprene disk from a pressure reducing valve or a globe valve in the system or ????.

I guess I missed this one somehow.

Small black flakes sound more like sulphur particles than rubber. If it were rubber from the tank, I would think it would plug up the faucets.

I have only seen rubber coming out of a tank once and that wasn't a bladder tank. It was a float in a galvanized tank. The customer had a chlorinator and the rubber float in the tank basically dissolved into little pieces and was clogging up their aerators. Chlorine and rubber don't get along too well.

Thank you for your answers.

Mr_David : All the standard tests were done by a pump installer on the tank and the verdict was that the tank is ok (i.e. bladder or diaphragm not busted).

speedbump: I agree with you about the sulphur because the tank (a Pro-Source PS series) was exchanged for a Pro-Source AW series (Air over water - epoxyline tank) and the problem is solved : no more particles in water.

I might be mistaken but, doesn't that type of tank solve sulphur problems?

An air over water type tank or a tank without a seperation between the air and water can remove some or all of the hydrogen sulfide gas. The air has to be replenished regularly though.

Once the new tank gets a coating of sulphur on the inside, the flakes will probably reappear.

Latest posts

Back