Faucet won't stay on (video)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xfactor

Reaction score
I took this video of my faucet. Hopefully it's helpful.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgzDZJdoUs[/ame]

When I turn on the cold water the faucet won't stay on right away. I have to let it run for a while, I guess to let it build up pressure. This started happening a couple months ago.

It doesn't happen with the hot water, only the cold.

I checked that the valve is fully on.

Any idea how I can fix this?

Your handle won't stay up because the internal copper part of the spindle inside the cartridge is to loose. Turn off the supply. Remove the handle, and black or grey bonnets surrounding the cartridge. Remove the clip. Pull out cartridge. Push copper spindle out of the clear cartridge housing. Slightly bend the copper. Reinstall inside clear housing and reinsert the cartridge and install all pieces. Be sure to check for crossed water. This is a common problem with Moen faucets. Good luck

Your handle won't stay up because the internal copper part of the spindle inside the cartridge is to loose. Turn off the supply. Remove the handle, and black or grey bonnets surrounding the cartridge. Remove the clip. Pull out cartridge. Push copper spindle out of the clear cartridge housing. Slightly bend the copper. Reinstall inside clear housing and reinsert the cartridge and install all pieces. Be sure to check for crossed water. This is a common problem with Moen faucets. Good luck

Nice!
That's what I do. I usually see this on tub/shower valves.
When turned on the water flow actually pulls the cartrigde back in.

Slightly bend is the key word This will add a little tension on the inside wall of cartridge

moen core 1225B.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to Brent about slightly bending the copper inside the Moen replacement cartridge. My faucet works at last! The handle stays up and no more leaking. Phew. Other people said wipe the silicon off, but that didn't fix it. Bending the copper did.

Ive had this issue with Moens and ive narrowed it down to too much grease on the cartridge. The weight of the handle pushes it down. Ive found wiping the factory lubrication off and just adding my own solves it.

Ive never thought of having to bend the copper a bit. So hey....i learned something today. Sweet.

Latest posts

Back