Fix Under Sink Plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katphil

Reaction score
Our dishwasher quit draining which led me to look a the plumbing. The previous owners obviously did this work themselves. Looking at it, it doesn't seem like it is right. I have limited plumbing knowledge, but I know enough to know that there should be a P trap somewhere in this system. Any suggestions as to how to fix this? See attached pictures.

IMG_4032[1].jpg

IMG_4022[1].jpg

IMG_4027[1].jpg

IMG_4021[1].jpg

There is no venting that I can see, but I haven't had any problems with draining other than the dishwasher. I was thinking that the pipe the dishwasher is connected to might be a vent pipe, and the plumbing might have been something like the attached picture.

670px-Chicago_loop_plumbing_01.jpg

The pic you posted is great. Unfortunately it bears no resemblance to the mess under your sink. Follow Frodo's advice. None of your drain plumbing is salvageable. Rip it all out and replace correctly.

My sink is not an island sink, but is connected to a half wall. Thank you all for your help. I will be ripping this all out this weekend and fixing the way you suggested.

I have heard, but not seen, of a p trap under the floor. Supposedly, in some parts of Louisiana, this is rather common and code approved. But from the two pipes into the bottom of the cabinet, I tend to think that it was originally an island vent.

Reactions: SHR
Back