Concerned About Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseballjunkie6

Reaction score
As a newly divorced woman (after 28 years) I am learning a thing or two about my home. One of which is that a septic tank needs to be pumped out at some point.

I do know that my tank has never been pumped out since I have owned the home; which is 22 years now. However, I have absolutely no problems with it at all. All indoor plumbing works perfectly and yard is dry. Should I just let sleeping dogs lie or should I get it pumped?

What could happen to the tank if I get it pumped after such a long period of doing nothing to it?

I would leave it alone. I know some will say to have it pumped every 3 years or so. I believe if you don't kill the bacteria that eats the solids in the tank using harsh cleaners, bleach and such, your tank will take care of itself. If you do end up with a stoppage, have it pumped when that happens.

Get it pumped.

If the solids build up in the tank to the level of the outlet pipe, the solids can get into the drainfield and clog the "pores" of the soil that absorb the water. If that happens, by the time it causes a backup into the house, you will have to have the drainfield replaced. And that is not cheap.

The top solids (undigested solids) accumulate and microorganisms consume them (at a rate slower than the accumulation rate, usually). As the top solids are consumed there are byproducts that sink to the bottom (digested solids) also in this bottom layer is a high content of dead microorganisms. The problem occurs when the digested solids carry over to the drainfield and clog it and the media up.

I manage a great deal of systems on a semi annual basis, tanks fill up with solids anywhere from 4 to 7 years on residential waste.

Have your tank pumped and probably get your first distribution box exposed and expected. Like a car, septic systems need preventative maintenance as well.

Back