where can I find a snake for the toilet that is not manual

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feathers

Reaction score
Have terrible root problems in the toilet --the septic tank is clean but stuff between there and the toilet --have a caca fountain in the shower--don't want to take up all the floor inside and out--- but no roto rooter stuff in my area --where can i get this equipment myself---also need advice on using plumber putty to set the toilet after cleaning help!!
feathers

At no point during a toilet repair or install should you ever be using plumbers putty for anything. Ever.

As for getting a powered snake, you may be able to pick one up at your local rental shop. If not, you can get them at most big box home improvement stores, but they are not cheap.

whats with the putty haters!
how else are the bolt caps gonna stay secure?!

im kidding, relax... although! when i first started the trade i was reading a manual for either the wax seal or the toilet itself and it was suggested to line the bottom rim of the toilet with putty. then i guess caulk over it, i dunno... don't ask me :p

feathers, are there any hardware or rental stores in your area that you can rent the equipment from? also, if the problem is that bad, whats keeping you from repair the pipe? i doubt the problem is under slab unless you live in a tree house or a tepee... and btw, when you go by the hardware store to see if they rent sewer machines... pick up a new wax gasket so you can reset your toilet... no putty

Last edited:
whats with the putty haters!
how else are the bolt caps gonna stay secure?!

im kidding, relax... although! when i first started the trade i was reading a manual for either the wax seal or the toilet itself and it was suggested to line the bottom rim of the toilet with putty. then i guess caulk over it, i dunno... don't ask me :p

feathers, are there any hardware or rental stores in your area that you can rent the equipment from? also, if the problem is that bad, whats keeping you from repair the pipe? i doubt the problem is under slab unless you live in a tree house or a tepee... and btw, when you go by the hardware store to see if they rent sewer machines... pick up a new wax gasket so you can reset your toilet... no putty

Actually there was a time when toilets were set with a mixture of putty and plaster of paris.

John

Not quite phishfood. But I did pull and reset my share of them that were set like that. Using wax. And speaking of wax did you know when it was first used it came in buckets and had to be applied with a putty knife.

John

If you were really fancy you could buy a wax form, then put your bucket wax into the form, slap on the lid that pressed everything together, then ratchet out the fancy wax seal and stick it to the toilet.

I once pulled out a toilet from 1910 and the old wax had held perfectly for 90 years. Not a drop of water damage anywhere near the seal.

1910 toilet. I bet it had a flush ell. Repaired many of them along with the spuds. I think I may still have the cut off spud wrench that was need to replace them.

John

Actually there was a time when toilets were set with a mixture of putty and plaster of paris.

John

John you sound like my kind of guy---I am in the country --south of the border---not a lot of big box stores or big box know how--toilets are all set in cement and something called cemento blanco---to get them out takes half a day of chopping and banging--getting them in means they will be dirty soon and you will fall on your --or my tush soon ---as they are not stable--who'd think just a toilet would be so much anxiety--to all interested send directions for the setting of a toilet and make my dreams come true--we do spend some time in there after all--I'd rather it be on the seat than on the floor--Yikes!!! Feathers

At no point during a toilet repair or install should you ever be using plumbers putty for anything. Ever.

As for getting a powered snake, you may be able to pick one up at your local rental shop. If not, you can get them at most big box home improvement stores, but they are not cheap.
I found something that got out more roots --and yes not cheap---but i can flush the toilet --who would know that was like receiving diamond earrings!!!!!!

Always wear heavy work gloves and safety goggles to operate a power snake, as the job is likely to get messy.

Latest posts

Back