Small Bubbles forming in toilet bowls and tanks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armenhamer

Reaction score
Less than two weeks ago the city had someone come out to replace our water meter, they're doing this through out the neighborhood. for what it's worth we we're also having a new furnace installed while the meter was swapped out. While checking things out once the meter was changed I noticed our main floor toilet sounded different filling up after flushing. I took apart the fill valve and hooked it back up and that seemed to fix that. However, since that day and I can't be sure if I just haven't noticed it before, there's been tiny air bubbles in the tank and bowl in both the main floor toilet and the one in our basement. When you flush they go away and then reform after a few hours. The longer between flushes the more there seem to be. You can see them attached to the parts inside the tank and around the lip of the hole in the toilet bowl and around the bowl in general where the water is. Can't say that I've noticed any difference in how they flush or fill back up. All the other plumbing from what I can tell runs and drains fine as well. No noises or smells. So I'm not sure if this is normal and I just didn't notice it until now or if something is up?

I will also add you do have to bend down to get a good look at them in the toilet bowl, they are very small.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Sounds like your fill valves are not shutting off completely which is allowing a small amount of water in the tank & bowl causing the bubbles. Your fill valves may have got some debris from the installation of the new water meter. Remove your tank lid and place your ear near the fill valve listening for any sound.

Not really hearing anything noise wise and the water level doesn't seem to be changing as far as I can tell. I did close the valve water supply to the tank for a few hours and still got some bubble formation.
This was on the basement toilet, the main floor toilet from what I've seen over the last few days doesn't seem to have much of any bubbles except for around the flap in the tank. Wondering if there's something working itself out through the system? Here's pic of what it looks like in the bowl of the basement toilet.

IMG_0355.jpg

Must be air bubbles sticking/forming to a rough area

Would you think that's normal? Considering having a pro come out to take a look. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back