kitchen faucet mounting nuts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

help

Reaction score
Help! I'm trying to replace a kitchen faucet and absolutely can not get the existing faucet off. The mounting nuts under the sink are stuck in place and nothing will budge them. I have a basin wrench and the only the only thing I've managed to do is entirely mangle the soft plastic nuts. I've tried WD40, pliers, vice grips, and the basin wrench. I've been working on this on and off for 2 weeks now. I'm ready to take a hacksaw to the thing. What can I do??

A hacksaw will certainly work, but you take the chance of scratching the finish of the sink. My recommendation is to toss the WD-40 (water displacement is not what you want/need) and purchase a can of PB Blaster, which is designed to penetrate and loosen. Spray it on, leave overnight and it should pop off tomorrow. By the way, Are you using a basin wrench as well?

Thank you havasu, I'll try the PB Blaster. Would I find this in the plumbing section?

Yes, I'm using a basin wrench and all it's done so far is break off all the little wings on the nuts.

PB Blaster can be found at most big box hardware stores, most auto parts stores, and in every jeep owner's garage! You are remembering the "righty tighty, lefty loosey" since the nut is upside down?

Forget the PB Blaster. You say you have plastic nuts.
Use a drill.
Start with maybe a 1/4" bit and and drill about half way through the nut.
Then use a larger none until you split the nut. this is what I do to get old brass nuts and even kitchen drain basket stariner nuts off.
Use safety glasses ansd don't push to hard.

Another trick is to heat up a chisel or a saw blade and just split the nut by melting it.

They make a nut splitter for just this but I've never needed to buy or use one.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your help. I appreciate your suggestions and advice. The project is finally, finally done!

This has been hands-down the worst DIY project I've ever attempted. The PB Blaster did a great job of loosening the nut from the underside of the sink, but did nothing to help me remove it from the bolt. I tried drilling the plastic and drilled several lovely holes but it never split. The plastic was oddly soft and would just mush away from the drill. I ended up buying a Dremel and cutting them off, but even that took several hours. It was terrible. The pieces I cut off are terribly corroded (I didn't plastic could look like that!). The old faucet had no plumber's putty, thread tape, etc. at all.

The new faucet went in reasonably well but the nut that holds the new faucet in place is so large I don't have a wrench that can fit it. Now I have to go buy a new wrench.

This project has cost me not just the cost of the new faucet, but also a new Dremel, a new wrench, my favorite pliers, two weeks of my time, and several trips to the chiropractor. It's just not worth it. I will pay a plumber anything he wants to do this, I am NEVER doing this again!!!

Look at all the tools and knowledge you received! Sorry for making light of a rough situation but at least it is done....for now! Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it went.

First, you should turn off all water supply that is linked to your faucet. Then, you should remove the supply lines coming from both sides of your faucet. After thatm you should remove the large retainer nuts that are holding your faucet to the sink. When you are done with this, remove the old faucet from the sink. Try to clean up your sink and where the old unit was installed.

Latest posts

Back