Water heater valve leak help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanner

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I noticed there was water in the bucket that has a hose from what I believe is the pressure valve on the water heater. When the propane company came a few days later to clean the furnace, I told them about it. They replaced the valve. But a few days later, there was again water in the bucket. I went through some papers and found that the water heater was quite old and decided to just replace it. New water heater was installed about a week and a half ago by the propane company. Today I noticed there is a little bit of water again in the bucket.

Since I know nothing about plumbing, what sort of problem am I having? Is this a major water pressure problem that requires more expertise than the furnace techs? I have lived in this house 7 years and never had this happen before.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Can you post a picture of the valve? It sounds like a T&P valve. If so, you may want to check the water pressure
In the home. Could be a bad regulator causing the problem

I googled the T&P valve and that is the valve that is releasing the water.

I assume that a call to a plumber is the next step? (to check the water pressure and regulator-----is this a big job?)

Thanks so much for the advice!

Depends on If the regulator is in the ground at the water meter or inside the home in an accessible location. A normal T&P is set to relieve around 150 psi or so. If the regulator is bad, it will have to be replaced. If the T&P is old, it will often times need replacing as we'll. Id replace the regulator first and see if that corrects the problem. If you don't have an expansion tank or valve, you'll need one also. Would prob be best to let a licensed plumber make the repairs.

Latest posts

Back