Need help please!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMeister

Reaction score
I'm trying to sell my house and we just had a home inspection done. The inspector stated that "The clothes washer drain is improperly connected to the soil pipe There is no standpipe or airgap; the pipe has been directly connected. This could cause contamination of the clothes washer, improper venting, or the pressurized discharge of the washer could damage the waste plumbing system".:(
My drainpipe is above my washer and the washer drain hose is connected from the bottom of my washer directly to the large drain pipe above. How do I resolve this? Two pictures added for clarity.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Washer Drain2.jpg

drain.jpg

alright, i'll bite... thats quite the doozy!
that whole installation is wrong in every way lol.

i can think of three primary solutions... though a thousand different plumbers will show you a thousand different ways. but i think this may cover the jist of it... first off, move the washing machine somewhere else, like, the main floor or second floor (whatever is reasonable) and pipe it correctly... second, put your washing maching on stilts! then have it piped correctly... OR! thirdly, add a small sewage ejection system and then have it piped correctly.

with my extravagent photoship skills, i've attached a roughly drawn photo of the two last solutions. the scale might be off slightly *cough*.... these drawings are based off the information you've given, the venting could be changed (probably not worth it though)

minor notes: from your picture it looks like your main waste line is 4" ABS plastic. The PVC wye, 4x2 as it appears, then reduced to 1 1/2 should be replaced with ABS aswell.

Last edited:
Like the above user said. A holding tank with a float operated pump would do easy.

Back