Little confused about tub installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds8086

Reaction score
I am installing a new bath Tub, it is steel. It came with a formed foam pad underneath it that is level with the outside part of the tub that comes down and meets the floor. Now from what i understood you usually set the tub in mortar or something of that nature but it looks like this tub possibly just sits directly on the floor on top of the foam pad? It states warranty void if removed and it is sloped from back to front.

If the answer is yes to that question (does it just sit directly on the floor), then i assume i will have to move the drain directly under the tub because the old tub was off the floor enough that it had a pipe that came out from the drain horizontally and entered the drain pipe with a "T" of sorts.

Now by this point i assume i've confused you about as much as i'm confused myself so i included some pics lol.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20151118_175801.jpg

IMG_20151118_175807.jpg

IMG_20151118_175830.jpg

The drain needs to remain (mostly) as it is, but will need to be lowered. You will have to cut a hole in the flooring so that the piece of pipe coming from the tee to the drain can be installed partially into the flooring.

As a BTW, can you post a close up of the CPVC connection to whaterer pipe it is connecting to? Something about that doesn't look quite right.

you should use all glued type fittings if the drain is not accessible with the tub installed. Not slip joints like you see.

I agree with Phish. cut he floor open and lower the drain.

Keep the foam pad in place

the styro foam is for sound deadening, not to sit the tub on

the tub is suported by a ledger board and the apron.

after you set the ledger board, have varified all is level
put a piece of tar paper on the floor,,if wood floor

pour a 5 gallon bucket of concrete on the tar paper under the tub

set the tub in the hole, on the ledger board.press down
walk in the tub to press down, verify level

and attach tub to studs with roofing nails along the back wall and sides

IMAG0559.jpg

Back