I think I have a Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsunat62

Reaction score
In fixing our yard we noticed a lot of water near the front of our house while we were digging up our bushes. Its not the ac drip as my foot was able to move pretty deep into the mud and it was only around the ac unit which is above ground on cement. We tried to do some detective work. In shutting of the main valve to the house the meter triangle stopped moving. We then shut off all valves in the house to try and see what it could be but as soon as we turned the water back on before being able to decide what is causing the leak the triangle started to move again even though everything was shut of.. Luckily the triangle is moving at a slow past but we definitely want to find the leak. Any suggestions?

The first thing to determine is if there leak on the water main between the meter and the house. To do that, you need to locate the valve at the service entrance into the house and shut that off. Make sure that it is holding back the water by turning on a faucet inside and making sure that the flow eventually stops completely. This is important, because oftentimes the valve will not close completely, and you will not know if the leak is under/in the house or on the main. If it does shut off completely, then check to see if the meter is still moving. If it is, then you know that it is somewhere between the meter and the house. If the meter stops moving, than you know it is somewhere in or under the house.

I bet a nickel this is a leak in a transition from plastic to copper just outside the house. They probably used a PVC female adapter and it cracked.

Just a guess

phishfood- We did as you asked and it seems to not be the main supply as the triangle stopped when we shut the main valve to the house off. Is it possible that as we live in south florida.. the AC is over working and the constant drip from the ac drain is causing the area to be wet and in effect we have a drain issue as its a flat surface? We notice the puddle when we were digging up a fica plant... nothing has come to the surface as of yet.

Is it the meter still spinning?
- If not, maybe was/is your condensation line (A/C drain).
- If still spinning, look for your water heater drain (relief valve). Usually in florida is closed to the a/c unit.

if it is your ac. get a 20 gallon plastic barrel {blue] drill hundreds of holes. or take it target shooting

dig a hole..24'' deeper and 48'' wider than barrel

put 24'' of pea gravel in the hole, set he barrel on the gravel

fill the hole with gravel

120vac40a_rev.jpg

Latest posts

Back